Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeding my Beagle pup Iams Smart Puppy. We feed our Irish Iams and had good luck and the Vet recommended it. He will be 12 weeks Fri.

I put his food down and I'll give him 1/2 hr to eat it. Sometimes he'll eat it right up. Others he'll pick it at slowly till the Irish thinks she wants some, and sometimes he won't eat it.

If he's not chowing it down, the last 5 or 10 minutes I'll put some warm water on it and he'll eat it right up. Is there any problem with this? I just don't want to "train" him to think if he waits he can have warm water on it. I feed him 2/3 cup 3 times a day.

Does this behaviour warrant trying another brand such as Pro Plan?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Dtrain I wouldn't wory about it.

I have never heard of a beagle that starved while food is availible.

I put water in there food when they are pups also.

I give my grown dogs water in there food in the winter.

When they get hungry they will eat.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Robert! I'll give you a call one of these days here to talk about e-collars!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I suggest you order a dummy collar in the mean time.

Put it on that pup everytime you take him out side.

Take it off when you get back in the house.

Start now and he will always think they ecollar means fun.

Start later and you may not ever be able to run him with out one.

You have at least 4-6 months before you will need a real ecollar.

When you start looking for one I would shop around for a classic 70.

Thats the best bang for your buck as far as beagles go. In my opinion.

I use the old beagler collars but they are not making them anymore.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
the amount & 3 times a day.
A beagle is a pretty small dog. Might check the amount for recommendations on the bag. I would go for 2 twice a day myself. He's probably not real hungry yet.
I feed adult 50lb dogs 3-3 1/2 cups once a day. Our pups are fed 2 times a day till 6 months old.
Pup will get used to a "set feeding time" & if he dosen't eat take it away.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Wally

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robert,
Where can you get a dummy e-collar?

We are going by the bag recommendations. 2 Cups is actually a little bit less than the minimum recommended for his age and weight (he's right around 11-12 lbs).

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
There are several places on the net to by them.
http://www.gundogsupply.com/dumcolnew19t.html
Or you can get them from Cabela's. .

Dogs can get collar wise. Meaning they know when they have a collar on and when they do not. You do not want the dog to associate the collar with being shocked.

This can cause several problems.

The ideal situation is to get your dog to the point where he doesn't need a collar. The three year plan as I call it. After three gun seasons if I have raised and trianed the dog it should not need a collar. Also collars die and there are going to be times when you need to be able to run them with out a collar.

Here is another tip. After I get the pup used to wearing the dummy collar I switch it to the real collar then take it out somewhere it is not comfortable.

I let the pup sniff around and start exploring. They will keep a constant watch on you when they are somewhere they are not familair with. At some point it never fails they find something to eat like a dead frog or who knows what. I wait untill they are focused on what ever there about to chew on then I tap them on the lowest setting. This will usually send them high tailing it back to you. When they get to you just pet them and pretend nothing happend. That sets the stage for later. When they are being deer broke and your shocking them bad. All they will think about is getting to you. Once they are at your feet they are safe.. Get a beagle to that point and you are over the hump. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts