Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's started already. Where I live in Clarkston, there has traditionally been a very busy roadside stand on Dixie Hwy that sells deer bait from Sept through Dec. They've historically had huge signs advertising "Deer Feed". Today, they got their first mega load of carrots, all bagged up and ready to go.

Their sign this year? "Rabbit Feed"

· Registered
20,917 Posts
I would not do business with anyone who has such low regard for the health of the deer herd. I have spoken to a couple business in Roscommon county. The one on the corner of old27 and m55 will not be selling it this year. He will get some extra business from me.

· Registered
15,937 Posts
Hence the open mocking of the law I referenced by bait sellers and suppliers in another thread on how "sales" were being used as the reason to reinstate baiting, and how that premise is based mostly on counting on illegal activity.

When I was at the Rockford Meijers (in the CWD hot zone), I asked a manager if they would be pulling corn and mineral blocks off the shelf. When I told him all baiting was banned, he sort of shook his head, rolled his eyes and said "so my bait pile is now a compost heap", with a so what, I'll still bait anyhow attitude. I can deduce that he likely puts out more than 2 gallons. Because if he was a law follower, he'd follow the laws.

· Registered
5,665 Posts
Hence the open mocking of the law I referenced by bait sellers and suppliers in another thread on how "sales" were being used as the reason to reinstate baiting, and how that premise is based mostly on counting on illegal activity.

When I was at the Rockford Meijers (in the CWD hot zone), I asked a manager if they would be pulling corn and mineral blocks off the shelf. When I told him all baiting was banned, he sort of shook his head, rolled his eyes and said "so my bait pile is now a compost heap", with a so what, I'll still bait anyhow attitude. I can deduce that he likely puts out more than 2 gallons. Because if he was a law follower, he'd follow the laws.

I find this post somewhat amusing. Same attitude I found when the DNR directed food plotters in the tb zone not to plant turnips, pumpkins and other root type crops. My food plot is now a garden.:lol::rolleyes:

· Registered
15,937 Posts
Chasing, I'm heading over there in a bit. I'll check to see if anything was was pulled or if it remains. Legally, with the UP being legal to put out minerals, they can sell whatever they want, ethical or not.

L&O, if he's not going to follow the bait ban, which he clearly implied with me standing there, why would you expect him to follow the 2 gallon rule? He said he will now call his bait pile a compost heap.

I don't know what to say if you can't put 2 and 2 together.

If anyone thinks that a majority of baiters adhered to the 2 gallon rule, I think you'll fooling yourself. Even a single bag of carrots dumped was illegal.

In all my years at the store, I never had a single person mention that they put out only 2 gallons. But I had 100's, maybe 1000's over the years of that rule justify that a couple 3 bags at a bait site wasn't going to hurt anything.
They were fooling themselves as to being violators too.

· Registered
15,937 Posts
No, it's not the same attitude. There is no industry based on this activity that is crying about the end coming, other than the bait industry.

Follow the money.

Rep. Sheltron isn't taking about bringing back turnip plots in the NELP, he's based his call on keeping baiting activity fueled by illegal activity by 100,000's alive and well, all with the wink and a nod that big money is to be made.

And he's not asking for it to return in the whole LP. Only the NLP. Now why is that? Jackson is way farther away from the CWD hot zone than Baldwin. Why should Baldwin have bait and Jackson can't? Maybe a 100 mile radius around the hot zone is a better idea than just the NLP?

Many here are so off base when they think that crossbow companies and insurance companies control MDNR because of money being spread around.
That is all urban myth, black helicoptor stuff.

However, there is money being tossed around that does have undo influence on natural resource decision making. And we're seeing it here with the bait powers that be getting hot with state reps to keep the blood money of illegal overbaiting flowing.
Mark my words on this. Defend it all you want. If baiting comes back, it isn't as a fairness measure to counter farmland. It won't be because it's good for the herd. It'll only be to keep the big dollars, fueled by 100,000's overbaiting, coming in.

· Registered
640 Posts
The Gander Mountain store had a sign on there mineral blocks that they were for sale for out of state use. If it is still legal to sell, then let the merchant sell it. Next year if the ban is still in place then you can do your one man boycott or what ever you want. After all was it the merchant or the captive deer herd operations that introduced cwd to the state?

· Registered
1,015 Posts
Chasing, I'm heading over there in a bit. I'll check to see if anything was was pulled or if it remains. Legally, with the UP being legal to put out minerals, they can sell whatever they want, ethical or not.

L&O, if he's not going to follow the bait ban, which he clearly implied with me standing there, why would you expect him to follow the 2 gallon rule? He said he will now call his bait pile a compost heap.

I don't know what to say if you can't put 2 and 2 together.

If anyone thinks that a majority of baiters adhered to the 2 gallon rule, I think you'll fooling yourself. Even a single bag of carrots dumped was illegal.

In all my years at the store, I never had a single person mention that they put out only 2 gallons. But I had 100's, maybe 1000's over the years of that rule justify that a couple 3 bags at a bait site wasn't going to hurt anything.
They were fooling themselves as to being violators too.
Pinefarm, I have resisted posting in most of the baiting debates, :dizzy: but I have to let you know you could not be more correct in your assesment. Both in this thread and the other on the volumes of bait being sold. Many hunters openly mock the 2 gallon limit, both in what they say and practice. The sheer ton's of produce being sold for bait makes it hard to believe that even a small amount of hunters are using 2 gallons.

· Banned
19,600 Posts
For all who are claiming that "many" "hundreds" "most" are ignoring the two gallon limit and violating the law, if you are regularly seeing these violations and not reporting them, then you are part of the problem, not part of the solution. All this condemnation based on assumption accomplishes is giving anti-hunters fodder for banning all types of hunting. I must say that sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy.

· Registered
187 Posts
It may be an assumption when I see a Hunter pull up to the grainery in town and buy two scoops of sugar beets that he says he is "hauling up to bait the stands". I guess I should assume that he is baiting around 104 different stands for the entire gun season to abide by the 2 gallon rule. I am not labeling all that buy bait as overbaiters, but I sure do see alot of trailers and trucks loaded with bait that would seem unlikely to get eaten 2 gallons at a time.

If you don't want us to assume maybe you shouldn't be so naive.

Chris

· Registered
20,917 Posts
pine farm,

Rep Sheltrown is proposing allowing baiting in the NLP for this season, because the produce is already in the pipeline. He is not opposed to a complete ban beginning next year. Go back and review bradys post. In fact I believe he would support the complete and permanent ban beginning next year.

I dont support lifting or modifying it either. But I do understand that he has to respond to the wishes of those he was elected to represent. And in the case of the House Outdoors Comm. That is the whole state.

· Registered
640 Posts
Leelanau county has a weekly newspaper that has a column for people doing dumb things from speeding to murder. One would doubt that on average that there is more than one person ticketed for over the two gallon limit per year. The CO does take his job seriously( he checked out three walleye fisherman on a sub zero night, I was one of them and we where the only fools on the lake). So with these stories of seen hundreds of bait piles bigger than two gallons one would think there would be more tickets. Also, since there are several tickets for illegally taggged deer would suggest that we have our share of people break the rules. So instead of making an issue over something that can be legally sold, why not call the co and report the first bait pile you see? Munster--we are own worst enemy.

· Registered
430 Posts
I talked with a CO at a meeting the other day and they found a feeder with a sign on it that read "turkey feeder" I guess peopl should scratch that loophole off the list, bait is bait from the state's view

I didn't want to post on this issue but after all it's for the health of the heard

I have a powerpoint on CWD it appears to be a very painful way for any animal to die

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.