Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we've had a few days of rifle season pass I was hoping for some feed back on two new things, but haven't seen any.

1) How has the 350 Winchester worked out? Did it meet buyer's expectations?

2) How has not baiting worked out? What did it change for you? Was there massive non-compliance? Did many give up hunting because of it? Direct observations make the best posts.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
Now that we've had a few days of rifle season pass I was hoping for some feed back on two new things, but haven't seen any.

2) How has not baiting worked out? What did it change for you? Was there massive non-compliance? Did many give up hunting because of it? Direct observations make the best posts.
LOL - you haven’t seen any “feedback” on this forum about the new baiting regs? Kudos for being blissfully unaware of the previous 150 million baiting threads.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a lot of talk before the season. I'm interested in hearing what happened after the season started.

·
Addicted2hunting4
887 Posts
I will weigh in on baiting. I am not a fan "personally" and so we have had a split camp in the past. I am not against it. I have just not done it for me personally. I feel like it has drawn does and young bucks but i have never seen a mature buck on a bait pile in the daylight. (I know it happens.. again.. just me personally).

However, I have baited annually for my dad and my kids. It is important for them to see deer or lose interest. Historically i would pick up 5 bags of carrots and arrive at camp and quad them out in front of the 2-3 blinds that my dad or kids would sit in. All was well with us... everyone happy.

This year... no carrots. And, I was concerned for my dad. I was afraid the snow was too high for the deer to navigate the food plots. So, he was going to have a quiet sit...

This year... first time ever... my dad tagged out with two bucks (both 8 pts) before 9 am. HA! Go figure!

I do not believe this to be statistically representative of anything. If they allow it again next year i suspect he wants it again next year. But it sure is fun to tease him about. THe reason he hasn't shot an 8 pt in the past is those damn carrots. ha!

·
Registered
6,135 Posts

1.) Slightly disappointed that I didn't get a pass thru on a 40 yard shot. I did hit 1 shoulder, from a pretty high tree stand so it hit high and as a result minimal blood trail, but I knew about where it went down. Will finish out the season with it before switching back to the 44. It will be a great gun for my son.

2.) 2nd season of no bait, but I have not hunted over bait for much longer. I miss being able to feed in front of a trail camera to "inventory" the deer. Neighbors are still feeding, but not hunting over it. Bait has largely been ineffective where I hunt due to the amount of ag. Deer movement has been on par if not better. Saw 10 deer opening day by 9AM. Typical opening day is 3 to 5 deer all day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts