Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I are hunting moose next month in NW Ontario and he's going to use his Winchester Model 94 Lever 30-30. He's confident and very accurate with it, shots will be less than 100 yds, and we're convinced it's enough gun for the job. Besides I'll have the Tikka 7mm if it's needed.

Normally for whitetails he shoots Federal Power Shok (blue box) 150 grain Soft Point Flat Nose factory ammo. We want to step up to their 170 grain for moose (assuming that his gun likes that flavor) which is listed as a Soft Point Round Nose.

Does anyone know if the round nose ammo is safe for use in tubular magazines like those on the Model 94?

Sure I'll check with Federal too but looking for opinions of those in the know here..thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I have always used round nose ammo in my 30-30, as does all of my family. Most often Rem. Core Lokt, and Winchester. There has never has been an issue.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always used round nose ammo in my 30-30, as does all of my family. Most often Rem. Core Lokt, and Winchester. There has never has been an issue.
Good to know - thanks. So Core Lokt 30-30 is round nose...didn't realize that. We should be good to go...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'll agree with this. But never hunted Moose with a 30-30. I suspect you would need a little more steam to push. Reason for my suggestion above. But that Core-Lokt is a fine bullet too and all I have ever used for 30-30

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I would look at another option. Look for factory .30-30 with the Barnes bullet. Starline ammo might be a brand that loads that in factory 30-30. The Barnes or any other premium bullt will be a better choice for moose considering the tried and true .30-30 is not an ideal caliber choice to begin with.
I think someone also loads the .30-30 from th factory with a 170gr flat point Nosler Partition....another much better bullet than the core-lokt for the job it's being asked to do.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would look at another option. Look for factory .30-30 with the Barnes bullet. Starline ammo might be a brand that loads that in factory 30-30. The Barnes or any other premium bullt will be a better choice for moose considering the tried and true .30-30 is not an ideal caliber choice to begin with.
I think someone also loads the .30-30 from th factory with a 170gr flat point Nosler Partition....another much better bullet than the core-lokt for the job it's being asked to do.
Truth is that we abandoned Core-Lokt a while ago when we had some misfires and learned that Rem had some QC issues, at least at that time. We moved on to the Fed blue box and have had great success with them.

You make a good point though about maybe using Barnes. I think we'll pick up some Barnes Vor-Tx in 30-30 and see how his gun like em. Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
You make a good point though about maybe using Barnes. I think we'll pick up some Barnes Vor-Tx in 30-30 and see how his gun like em. Thanks
I had forgot about the Vor-Tx. If the gun likes em', I wouldn't look any further than that round right there. A bit mroe expensive than the others but it is a Moose hunt and those don't usually happen all that often. Pick the shots and keep the range reasonable for the caliber and somebody will have a sore back from packing meat!

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,389 Posts
...never hunted Moose with a 30-30. I suspect you would need a little more steam...
Not the intention of this thread, but no worries - thousands of moose have been killed with 30-30s. Here's some interesting discussion

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=245885.0

Or you could go real heavy....
This is one bad .30-30 round by Buffalo Bore. Expensive but I bet it would be pretty good Moose medicine.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=222

This is what I would go with! Heck I might just buy a box to shoot for fun.
I believe these guys used that BB ammo in a 30-30 to kill both a moose and griz in Alaska:

I'm reading that the BB stuff is not manufactured to SAAMI standards and that concerns me a bit. Anyone know if that poses any real risk?
Do I need to compare the maximum pressures the Win 94 30-30 can withstand to what the BB ammo produces? Any help is appreciated.

Right now it's between the Fed blue box 170, the LeverEvolution stuff, and the Buffalo Bore - need to decide within the next few days to allow sufficient range time

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
According to BB, the .30-30 loads are indeed safe in the 94. In the link they go into detail about what guns are safe for this load. They actually put in bold that is is safe for any factory gun chambered in .30-30. This of course is assuming the gun is in safe operating condition to begin with.

Now, some of BB's stuff is indeed designed for a particular gun or action only and they list those specifically.

I would use it in my 94 without hesitation.

The Barnes or the BB would get my vote. Shoot the cheap stuff a lot at the range and then site in with the expensive stuff and shoot it enough to know the load well.

A lever gun moose hunt sounds like a lot of fun to me.....:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not the intention of this thread, but no worries - thousands of moose have been killed with 30-30s. Here's some interesting discussion

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=245885.0
No Doubt it will kill one. I am a regular user of the Marlin 336 for many years with Core-lokTs!!! That is why I had mentioned maybe a little more STeam on the 30-30 win for moose. Leverolution is good stuff. The BB stuff I've used in handguns 44mag. But @$70 bucks a box for 30-30 Win that **** better scare them down!!! :yikes:

nice video find btw..thanks for sharing

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
The 30-30 is, no doubt, a very decent caliber. In fact, I have taken a number of nice muleys with it during the 5 years I lived in Billings, MT. For elk or moose however I would question the ballistics. Could you do it? Absolutely, after all the world record marlin on 6 pound test line was over 600 pounds. Should you do it? I wouldn't.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Good Luck to you and your boy Kenny!

The Federal 170s are what I run in my 30-30 for deer.

Good bullet and totally safe in a tube magazine.

Put the ball where it has to go and the 30-30 will work fine. It isn't gonna pile him up, but a 300 Mag won't do that either. I've never hunted moose, but have several buddies who have and they say the big buggers don't even know they are hit till they tip over..

Look forward to pics.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes.

Looked for the Buffalo Bore 190s at several places between Marquette and Milwaukee over the weekend but no place I stopped at stocks them, including Cabelas.

If we had more time I'd order them online but oh well - I'm actually pretty stoked to try what I did pick up
  • Federal 170 grain Nosler Partitions
  • Vor-TX 150 grain TSX-FN
I looked at the Federal TSX but the Vor-TX has higher muzzle velocity and was slightly cheaper.

So whichever one groups better will be the choice. BTW the gun counter folks I chatted with are convinced that all 30-30 factory ammo is suitable for use in tubular magazines.

I think we'll be in good shape with my 7mm for longer shots and his Win 94 for out to 100 yards or so. Believe me if we score the story will be here on M-S

1 - 16 of 16 Posts