Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i like dry brines, meat is firmer, less greasy, and you lose that fishy oily gresay taste that i find wet brines have. here is close to the one i use at this link it is brine number one. after i do this i smoke it according to the specs of recpi. any ways see link for description. maybe there is better out there that i did not know about is why i am posting. any ways see link and wish ya the best.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_htss_basic_steps.html

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
i use a quart of water to a 1/4 cup of pickling salt. ive done kings and herring so far and it turned out great.. i think the next time i do fall kings im going to add some liquid smoke to the brine to give it some more flaver. also put lemon pepper on some of the king steaks before smoking. tastes awesome :D

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
I just started but love what I've got going. First round was real sweet and great tasting. Second time I removed the white sugar and it was pretty well balanced flavor.

Brine
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup salt
1 cup teryiaki sauce
3 cups of water
About 1 tbsp garlic and 1 tbsp onion powder

Thaw fish and slice threw the meat but not the skin every 1" diagonal. Place meat down in mixed brine and refridgerate for 7-10 hrs.

Remove and air dry for two hrs while getting the smoker going. Once you got good smoke put her in and smoke it for 3-5 hrs at 200 degrees.

Remove and bag then refridgerate to stop the meat from drying out.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Wet brine here. Steelhead is my fav, with small lakers being a close second. I'll do kings, but I like a little more oil to the fish than a king has. About 3/4 brown sugar and 1/4 Mortons Tender-Quick....mixed w/ water and/or cherry juice. Throw in about 1/2 cup of soy sauce sometimes too. Brine it up in a couple zip lock bags over night. Next morning, set it out and let it dry to get a good pellicle formed on it. I usually sprinkle a little more brown sugar on it while it is drying. Throw it in the smoke at about 180-200 with cherry, apple, or maple chips and a tray of apple or cherry juice under it. Smoke it until it is firming up, but still a little spongey.....if you smoke it until you think it is done....it will probably cool off and be over done by the end. Usually around 4 hours depending on the ammount of fish and thickness of fillets.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to the guys that use wet brines do they come out oily like white fish oilly? lol's the one i used came out way to oilly and the meat was like water wet and smokey was not enjoyable as a dry brine was i thought. only problem is comparing white fish to salmon is like compareing apple to oranges i find white fish to oilly if any thing.

when we go up to ludington we stop at that guy of i think just before us-31 he across the street from walmarts he off a side street basically and a side street off that. out of his own house his wite fish is oilly and salmon is awesome. and i am trying to get close to the texture and taste of his meats lol's

problem i am having is with wet brines they seem too wet from what i have tried and dry brines maybe like jerky dry kinda at local detroit gas stations lol's not dublin genral store jerky lol's differnet story

lol's but any ways will have to try one fillet at a time till i perfect it i do not want to waste th meat doing it wrong any ways will print these off and see how they come out. i will try yours for sure. any ways thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
1 gal water
3/4 cup sea salt
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup real maple syrup (homemade)
2 cut up apples
3 cinnamon sticks (kind you use for stirrers or in mulled cider)
3-4 bay leaves
12-14 whole peppercorns

Looking at it you would think it would taste like your eating a pancake but its actually not as sweet as you might think. It does give it a nice little maple smoked flavor though. I go light on the salt cuz I personally dont like fish that is really salty.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I smoked some salmon yesterday morning.

I used a dry brine the night before.

1 part pickling salt to 4 parts brown sugar, with a little garlic powder and little black pepper. Coated salmon with this mixture and left overnight.
Rinsed off in morning and let air dry.
Smoked with natural lump charcoal and soaked cherry wood chips.

My first time smoking salmon. Turned out really good.

Fresh from the smoker:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I always wet brine fish, I always start with 1 gallon water, 1 cup canning/pickling salt (non iodized, smaller crystals than sea salt/kosher to dissolve easier), 1 cup brown sugar. From there I do a cupboard/fridge raid and toss in whatever I think will be good together, then brine 18-24 hours in the fridge. No 2 batches are ever the exact same, some are close, but I never really measure anything.. hahaha

Some of the favorite combos so far have been....
Honey, cayenne, and garlic

Soy sauce with crushed red peppers, enough to make it a bit spicy

Maple syrup, paprika, course ground black pepper, and some no-color butter flavoring

My kids demolished the last batch with the butter flavoring....

I like my fish smokey but not too smokey, usually hit them with smoke for 2-3 hours then finish them with clean heat until the pieces get just a little dried out on the edges. Patting down the meat when it comes out of the brine with a paper towel and letting it sit out at room temp for at least a hour makes a big difference for me. Some recipes call for you to rinse the fillets after the brine, but I find that washes out the sugars and tends to be salty

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I smoked some salmon yesterday morning.

I used a dry brine the night before.

1 part pickling salt to 4 parts brown sugar, with a little garlic powder and little black pepper. Coated salmon with this mixture and left overnight.
Rinsed off in morning and let air dry.
Smoked with natural lump charcoal and soaked cherry wood chips.

My first time smoking salmon. Turned out really good.

that is the texture i am looking for thanks. not to dry and not to slimey. i have noticed with wet brines that they are slimey and not as dry as the dry brines yours hit it on the head of what i am looking for. will have to see how they all come out any ways thanks for all replies.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i use a quart of water to a 1/4 cup of pickling salt. ive done kings and herring so far and it turned out great.. i think the next time i do fall kings im going to add some liquid smoke to the brine to give it some more flaver. also put lemon pepper on some of the king steaks before smoking. tastes awesome :D

i used the liquid smoke one and it came out a little to wet for my tastes. i will have to try danger dans and wartfroggys methods of wet curing see how they come out. any ways just thought i would mention it to you.

best of luck guys...

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Some recipes call for you to rinse the fillets after the brine, but I find that washes out the sugars and tends to be salty
over brining is the biggest reason it comes out too salty. the longer it brines the salt with drive out the flavors. brine time is extremely important.

i screwed up and brined one batch 20 hrs. redid it with the exact same brine a week later and cut it down to 8 hrs, huge difference.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Dry Brine

2 parts kosher salt
1 part white sugar
1 part brown sugar

brine overnight, rinse well, smoke till done

Serve with chopped onion, capers and dill cream cheese.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm new to smoking fish. I really like the taste of the smoked salmon at Jahrs in Sebewaing. Anybody know what brine I should use to get something similar to that?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dry Brine

2 parts kosher salt
1 part white sugar
1 part brown sugar

brine overnight, rinse well, smoke till done

Serve with chopped onion, capers and dill cream cheese.

gosh i want to try lol's. we bought cold smoked cheader at meijers and they also sell a vegtable chease spread that goes good with fish on crackers. but gosh your sides look so good!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Like some I like the brine over night. Im not a salty fan but I think it turns out good. Have to watch out for over brining like others have said.

brown sugar
sea salt
Molasis
Teryaki
Lil garlic powder and pepper
Sometimes honey

Heres a pick of remaining steel from today. I keep for myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm new to smoking fish. I really like the taste of the smoked salmon at Jahrs in Sebewaing. Anybody know what brine I should use to get something similar to that?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
trail and error is best i can give for that advise. reason is to hard to match it but if you get close to texture with either a dry or a wet brine. you should be happy trying other stuff like using juices to make it sweeter or to hold the water longer etc... or peper to spice it up etc....

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
here is some pic of what i ahve been doing today

4 cups dark brown suger
1 cup canning salt
10 teaspoons of garlic flakes

finished product will be later cause i have been smokeing some small browns and rain bows i got earlyier thsi year.

Stay up late making the brine last night. Started at 6 am smokeing the fish this is after brineing for 6 hours and air drying for 4 hours I thre it in the smoker and those are the apple chipps I used more photos to come.

Brine after 6 hours

Soaked chips for smoker.apple is best.

Adding chips

I pulled it during smoking cause it was getting a jerky texture cause the meat was so thin. Here is it cooling.
It taste dang good cant wait for salmon season and coho’s. this was on the grill smiker for just under 2 hours. Just came out as we speak.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Umm it is salmon season check the reports! Can't wait to get over.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Umm it is salmon season check the reports! Can't wait to get over.

seen that report around the 4 of july to bad it not a full swing yet small run but big enough to fish i hear. not big enough to waste four hours drive to get up to the little manistee for though.and try to find some watting for a bigger push like around end of august begining of september. then it is worth the drive. ya i did not want to post it and wreck it for the boys that are looking for salmon though. any ways best of luck till they really start running i will be up there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts