Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was jsut wondering what some of your favorite early season brown stick baits are and why? How far you run each and if you do any lil tweaking to them... also do any of you run OO jensen dodgers with flutter spoons or cut bait in the shallow water long lined?

Sideshow

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
150 ft back puts it awful deep doesnt it? Im planning on fishing pretty shallow.. dont have my bible in front of me right now though. Have some wonderbread bombers I might try out.. dropped like $80 bones on baits yesterday and bought two 15dx okumas.. getting to be that time.

Sideshow

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
don't know if this helps in the boats or not, but off the piers browns love firetiger, wonderbread and black/white orange belly bombers along with tenn. shad, blue/silver, clown and black/silver husky jerks.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Wonderbread, chome/black, clown, tigerfire bombers. Orange/white, black/silver, blue/silver, brown/gold, firetiger Rapalas all work. Bombers run about 6' deep 150 back. My outside boards run 100-150' back, 75-100' on the next, and 50' on the inside board. I run a long line 200-250' back in the middle that's always good for a fish or two.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what are you running most of your baits back then.. depending on what they are........

bombers
15A
15A jointed

Smithwick..
Suspending rattlin rouges

Storm
thundersticks
jr thundersticks

Repels
jointed same size as 15a bomber

Rapalas
#18 floaters
I have a nice lil stash of husky floating #13s!
husky #13 and #11
J-11 and J-9 floaters
then all the lil runts Im thinking about long lining way the hell back with a lil drop weight way up front

·
Registered
278 Posts
I run #11 rapalas. Silver minnow, silver/black, gold/black, red/black, rainbow, clown were my best lures for browns last year. I modify the bait a little. I only keep the last two hooks on the bait and change the size on them. The first one is never in the mouth and only causes trouble in the net.

On calm days, the lure is 120-150 feet behind the board.
With chop, 85-125 works just fine.

Craig
Reel Obsession

1 - 8 of 8 Posts