Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I buy/sell/trade/collect knives, I'm always curious. I posted a question in the whitetail forum asking about everyone's favorite deer-unzipper, but I thought I'd toss a slightly different question here.

What's your favorite knife? For small game, just ambling in the woods, carrying every day, whatever. Is it old, a treasured hand-me-down, just a piece of junk from a garage sale, brand new and high-tech or an old style 'pocket knife'.

Thanks for participating.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
My Olsen Ok Bowie. I also carry a Marble's Trailmaker sometimes or a custom stag bowie.
For smaller critters, I carry a scaled down version of the Olsen.
Have a different favorite for each season.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have a taste for fine Michigan Made knives, Mr. T-head. Can you post a pic of the Marbles you have?

I have a Olsen Bowie style that I bought in the late sixties, one of the made in Germany ones. I still like it.

The knife collecting club I belong to 'Wolverine Knife Collectors Club' has a show every January in Novi. One of the members brings his massive collection of Olsens.

Anyone else? Expensive or cheap, whatever does the job for you! If you need help on the identity/year of manufactor, maybe I can help.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My current Favorite is another Michigan made knife. Its a Bark River Woodland model, 3" fixed blade.

I'll be sure to make it to the Wolverine show this January too.
BTW, my sons favorite is an Imperial Drop Point hunter;) . Thanks again Gr8.
Thanks to RonL I've developed another addiction - knives:mad: (j/k ron;) )
The current wish list includes a Swamp Rat, a Gene Ingram and a Spyderco Native.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
For small game (birds only for me ) I carry a leatherman type tool (got it at Home Depot it for garding ) that has a limb trimmer I use to cut off heads, wings, tails, and feet. It also has knife blade to cut the birds in to frying pices. I was involed with a couple of womens hunt and I gut stuck cleaning all those birds you sure can go through a bunch of them in a hurry. Plus it's stainless hose it off and it's good to go.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is fun and interesting for me. The knives I like most are those actually used as knives... not those gawdy-awful things you see at flea markets.

I've started a similar thread like this under Whitetail hunting.

Glad to see the original multitool, Leatherman, mentioned here. I have one of the older ones, still like it, had to gut a deer with it one night. Hundreds of knives, and I didn't have one with me.

Bark river? You've got excellent tastes! As does your son.

Any others?

·
Super Moderator
37,508 Posts
Everday in the pocket, a 3" Kershaw with an aluminum body.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
For deer and big game I use a Buck #105. My two sons bought it for me one Christmas and it's the best one I've ever owned.

I do kinda remember pointing it out in the display case about fifty times that fall. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Between this thread and the one I posted in 'Whitetail Hunting', I've learned a lot. I spend time on the various knive enthusiast forums, but this place is like the real world, I mean it is the real world of using knives.

Anybody else have a favorite outdoor or other knife that comes with you everywhere you go? Please don't be shy because your blade isn't a high dollar like some of these... It is what works for you that is important to me.

And by the way... How do I upgrade my membership to be able to post pics in my messages???

Scout

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've carried a 3" old timer in my pocket since I was in Jr. High School.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I carry a Buck 703c everyday. It is a 3 blade knife that looks like the Prince model, but has the same blades as the Stockman model. Clip, spey and sheepsfoot blades. I am not sure they make it anymore since I can't find it on their web site. I use this knife for small game too.

For deer hunting I use the Buck Folding Hunter model 110. I am not sure if I have ever seen a dull version of this knife. I once gutted 5 deer in one season and it was still scary sharp.

For waterfowl I just use my fillet knife since I always breast out my harvest. Not sure the brand but it is the classic wooden handled ones you see in every store.

·
Super Moderator
37,508 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Essox. I think I have it figured out. The knife forums I belong to charge an extra fee to post photos. Do we know how lucky we are here?

Thanks Skunk. You carry a classic, traditional pattern that has so many more uses than any of the 'tactical' folders so in vogue now.

Thanks Duckman. I think you are correct about your 703 being out of production, but if you ever need to replace it, try Ebay.

I posted this link in the Whitetail hunters thread I started on field dressing knives, so here it is for you Buck 110 fans.

http://www.buckknives.com/pcks/

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I use a Kershaw Elkskinner fixed blade gut-hook knife for my hunting needs,.. and for a carry around on the belt every day it's a Gerber 650 folding knife.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I inherited these from my dad, my mother had the larger one made for him back in the 40's, no brand, no name on it.
The smaller one is the one I use, it is an old Monkey Wards Westernfield, my dad used to carry this one, till one day he had to squat down and it went through the case and stuck him in the leg, :eek:

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Speaking of Gerber, we have a set of steak knives made by them that are awsome. They are so sharp it's scary. They look like and I call them the "scalpels".

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks FishTales!!! Just the sorta pics I was hoping to see. Your Mother must have been a wonderful woman to have a custom knife like that made for your father. It is a nice blade. I like the leather handle and the big old aluminum pommel. Doesn't happen to be any makers mark or anything at all stamped on the blade, does there??? Your Mont. Ward is a classic as well.

Thanks 7mm and Steve. Kershaw makes a great blade and lots of you guys seem to like Gerbers. I've sold quite a few of the older Gerber steak knife sets, kitchen knives and carving sets, the early ones with aluminum handles in the nice wooden presentation cases to collectors in Japan. With all the knives that country sends here, I enjoy exporting a few of our best to them.

Again, I thank each and every one of you guys for answering this question, as posted here and in the Whitetail forum.

In the many knife forums I belong to, manufactors present their newest knives to collectors and backyard brush cutters-- not to real, honest to God hunters as found here.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
There are no markings at all on the knife, all I know about that one is that it was made about 1946, the same year I was born, and that it is sharp enough to shave with and holds the edge.
I don't know how old the smaller one is, but I remember my dad taking it with him when I was just a little guy.

·
Registered
673 Posts
i have afew different ones i like to carry. i have a little gerber ez out and a leatherman juice s2. what one i carry depends on what one i can find first :D

i also just bought an alaskan knife 2 knife set from cabelas. i had a gift certificate :D these are 2 of the nicest knives i have used. one is just a couple inch caping knife, called the cub, and the other is a rounded end skinner, called the muskrat.

later, dave

·
Super Moderator
37,508 Posts
Originally posted by stevebrandle
Speaking of Gerber, we have a set of steak knives made by them that are awsome. They are so sharp it's scary. They look like and I call them the "scalpels".
Sounds like my Wusthof Tridents. I have the kitchen knives and the steak knives. My wife fears she will cut off her finger and never feel it with the kitchen knives. She actually keep a crummy knife around for the few times she actually cooks something. (I do all the cooking. What can I tell say, she's Irish. LOL)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts