Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day, all

Hope everyone is well, and surviving this long winter with minimal pyche damage.

Wanted to get some opinions from everyone.......for those of you who are jig fishermen, can you give me an idea of your preferred colors for jigs, be they flipping or casting jigs.

Also, an idea for your preferences with clear water vs. stained.....

Personally, I like a watermelon/black flake combo, and a black/blue has done well for me on the west side of the state.......

Any thoughts?

Thanks

jigmaster

·
Registered
324 Posts
I fish jigs pretty much all of the time, for walleye, and for smallies. Here are a few things I go by.
1. I like to throw yellow orange or white heads when it is medium stained or darker. My favorite is pink though.

2. I like to throw darker colors when the water is clear blue, dark blue and black.

When I go for walleyes, I usually go in the evening starting at 1p.m. or so, I check the clarity of the water, but I also determine how much sunlight is being transmitted through the water. Then I try to balance them.

Here is an example: Say there is really dirty water but a lot of light. I will throw a medium color (orange pink red). Reason- I think the jig throws a shadow as well as a little color.

If the water is clear and there is low light I might start with a medium color(orange pink red) and work to a lighter color (yellow white light blue).

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you can find out what they have been naturally feeding on, I have found that walleye will prey on an immitation that is slightly brighter than the others, as well as a little more aggressive in behavior.

"So immitate the bait and just wait!"

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
i like to use a black and redish one with a pork trailer the saim color or close to it. also a chartruse on with the same color tariler or none at all woked well for me it might for you

deputy865

·
Registered
152 Posts
Every once in awhile you get a reply that is so far off of your original question that life seems abruptly messed up. Here goes....

I tie rabbit hair jigs....I like lightweight, scantly tied jigs and have found the best combo for me in clearwater and slightly stained water to be as follows, a black 1/8 to 1/16 jig head followed by a light gray shoulder made from crosscut rabbit then a white piece of regular cut hair for tail.
When I overlay the white bucktail hair over the top to keep the rabbit from tangling in the hook, I smudge my thumb and finger with blue permanent marker and roll the bucktail hair between them making a grey white jig with slightly blue back.
This resembles minnows and has brought me some nice bass last spring on the rocky flats....fishing by dragging slowly, catching and releasing itself on the pebble bottom.

Since you already fish jigs, you may wish to try a few hair jigs sometime. Good fishing, Mac

p.s. I have a son in MI south of Paw Paw....great fishing in the area....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey LittleMac, I tie on fur to my jigs as well...
In fact my favorite combo, That I learned from a good friend, For walleye in the spring, is A 1/8 or 1/4 oz pink head with white fur and a little crystal flash.. Tip it with a minnow.. Its all over Man!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I appreciate that post you just did. I'll keep the pink head, white jig and crystal flash in mind along with tipping. I'm assuming you use the crystal clear crystal flash or is it a color like red or blue?

We have some big walleye down here....met a guy at the tackle shop last year who caught a 37 incher and the bigger one got away.....the Tennessee state record is 25 pounds caught in western tennessee on Pickwick Lake (reservoir)...and am going to try for some when it warms a little.

Thanks....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Here is one other secret to my jigs.

If you are fishing for Walleye..... With store bought jigs I like to make the hook a little wider. All I do is use a pair of pliers to make the loop a little bigger.

It seems to me I get a better hook set on the walleye.

Another thing. If you are using minnows. I like to bite the top off of a twister and put it on the jig first, then the minnow...
You can use any style of tail or grub or any soft plastic...2 Reasons.

1) I think it makes the minnow and jig look complete without a gap from minnow to jig.. It looks more full and complete.

2)Depending on what softplastic you use, you could be adding another color, smell, vibration, etc.

I mainly add softplastic to make the bait look complete..

·
Registered
851 Posts
For flipping jigs, I like a black/blue for stained water and watermelon or pumpkin seed for clear. I also drop in a white one once in a while for variety.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree with the unpainted on the lake....or the chartrues but I dont have a whole lot of experience with fishing on lakes for walleye.... Small mouth I like to use the greens, black, and blue...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
chartuse,orange,green,white,yellow,glow and unpainted in the Detroit River,with soccer ball chartruse,being my favorite.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts