Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Favorite fluorocarbon lines

602 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  TheSteelheadBum
Just was wondering what you guys had tried as far as 100% fluoro lines were concerned. I have used the Maxima fluoro line, P-Line fluoro line, and most recently tried the new Seaguar INVIZX all in 4 pound line for Crappies. I must say I like the Seaguar the best with P-Line not to far off. Has anyone really noticed much of a difference in mono vs. fluoro for panfishing?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I have pretty good luck with Berkely Vanish. I use it mainly for Jigging and trolling. I'm not a big fan of its castability, I tend to rely on mono for my casting rods due to Fluro's heavy memory.
... but a number of the big lake fisherman like Gamma Flourocarbon line. I have used it before in a St. Joe tournament because they were one of the sponsors of the tournament and in the Captain's goodie bag were 10 yard spools of 20 lb. test. I rigged up some on my slide diver's to use JUST as leaders. 12 of the 22 fish we weighed over the 2-day tournament were caught on the slide divers... and all 12 of those fish were spring kings.

Absolutely no problems with performance whatsoever with the line.
You are talking about leader material and this would be very different from a fluorocarbon line. The leader material would be much more refined making it more invisible under water and more abrasion resistant, but in return it makes it too stiff to use as a mainline and it would also have a lot of memory. I definitely agree it does get more hits than mono especially on those tough days.

As far as fluorocarbon lines are concerned Gamma's is no better than P-Line or Seaguar's INVIZX "which is not bad as they are all nice lines", but the Gamma cost more and you get half as much line. If price is no object then Sunlines Super FC Sniper is the top dog, but it comes with a larger price tag than all of the above mentioned.

One thing about fluorocarbon line on the big lake I noticed on the charter boat is that if you are using a pinch style downrigger release due to the much slicker surface of the fluorocarbon we were having several false releases. I know of other guys that had the same problem. Since switching to using rubber bands that problem has went away...
DonP said:
... but a number of the big lake fisherman like Gamma Flourocarbon line. I have used it before in a St. Joe tournament because they were one of the sponsors of the tournament and in the Captain's goodie bag were 10 yard spools of 20 lb. test. I rigged up some on my slide diver's to use JUST as leaders. 12 of the 22 fish we weighed over the 2-day tournament were caught on the slide divers... and all 12 of those fish were spring kings.

Absolutely no problems with performance whatsoever with the line.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.