Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Seems like that would hurt the action of the crank. It doesn't take much. But i can see fish liking a small bait trailed behind an "attractor"
Interestingly enough - according to the folks that do it:

Somedays you catch everything on the crankbait.
Somedays you catch everything on the stinger.
Somedays you catch on both.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Charlie Brewer Slider in Tennessee Shad on a 1/16 jig trolled at .8 mph along the outside edge of the weeds. Crappie Magnet curly tails work good, too and are a lot tougher. Most of our fish(we've had some 200-300 fish days) come on the milky white color patterns or natural colors like motor oil or green pumpkin. Jig head color doesn't seem to matter.
Fish Ray-finned fish Fishing Fish products Fisherman
Water Vertebrate Smile Sky Boat
Food Plant Fruit Sky Tree

·
Premium Member
12,087 Posts
Smallest flatfish you can find. I don't know the number but I has some t hat are over 50 years old and around a 11/2 to 2 inchs long fastened on with a real small black snap swivel. Before we had a motor we use to use rowboats and let the line out a ways. Then stop the boat and give it a good push with the oars letting it coast and when it almost stopped again do it all over

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Rapala CD1 is another good one. Put a #6 single inline hook on the back to better make it avoid snags. I think VMC makes them. It's one is my most used baits in general. They actually weigh significantly more than the 1/16 on the package.

Reactions: mjh4

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have not done what you describe but I will often troll two jigs at a time using a three way swivel (~3 ft and 8" leads). Caught several doubles this way. I like the crankbait idea too.
Do you happen to have a diagram of that. It sounds cool. If I’m understanding it right it’s kinda like a Alabama rig!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Question on the chatter bait, how are you using it? Casting/jigging or could it be trolled ?
I usually slow troll a small chatterbait ( the one with just the plastic minnow not the skirt) on one side of the boat (about 50-60ft back) and a crankbait on the other side. Key is to go slow, when I catch a crappie I’ll stop and cast that area with the chatterbait. I’ve also had luck doing this from my kayak as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
169 Posts
Smallest flatfish you can find. I don't know the number but I has some t hat are over 50 years old and around a 11/2 to 2 inchs long fastened on with a real small black snap swivel. Before we had a motor we use to use rowboats and let the line out a ways. Then stop the boat and give it a good push with the oars letting it coast and when it almost stopped again do it all over
I agree with a small flatfish type crankbait. Caught 2 crappie Friday that were 15.5" each long-line trolling a BPS Wobble Jack crankbait with a piece of crawler attached. Why did BPS discontinue this crank????

·
Premium Member
12,087 Posts
I agree with a small flatfish type crankbait. Caught 2 crappie Friday that were 15.5" each long-line trolling a BPS Wobble Jack crankbait with a piece of crawler attached. Why did BPS discontinue this crank????
When we use to fish for them this way many times there would be school of them where you caught one and we would go back nd fish with a bobber and what ever bait we had with us. In the summer months it may be small minnows , worms, both earth worms and catalpa worms which were the esay to find in the summer. If they were real agressive then a plain pinkie jig was the ticket

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I like Rebel's small grasshopper, and the smallest floating Rapalas.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts