Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple years I've started to do a bit of Crappie/Panfish trolling on the lake at our cottage post spawn.

Lake is ~100 acres, mostly shallow (max depth ~22', mostly 6-10'), and really weedy in the summer.

I've had pretty good luck trolling shallow running bass size crankbaits, and some success running beetle spins.

What do you folks like to use for trolling crappie/panfish in this sort of situation, and what color patterns work well for you?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Over the last couple years I've started to do a bit of Crappie/Panfish trolling on the lake at our cottage post spawn.

Lake is ~100 acres, mostly shallow (max depth ~22', mostly 6-10'), and really weedy in the summer.

I've had pretty good luck trolling shallow running bass size crankbaits, and some success running beetle spins.

What do you folks like to use for trolling crappie/panfish in this sort of situation, and what color patterns work well for you?
Yup, beetle spins. On one lake, all they would hit was pink. On another , yellow or white. Cheap, relatively snag proof, and gets hits on all kinds of fish.

In-line spinners, tipped lures, and tiny sized crank baits have also worked. I once slayed a lake by drifting a streamer with a split shot, but that was one lake, one year.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Small paddle tail swim baits on 1/16-1/8 oz jig heads are deadly for crappie on the lake I fish most often. I also pull twister tails and tubes. Road runner jigs with any variety of small plastics. I fish a lot natural colors but occasionally a red/white tube or chartreuse swimbait will really catch them.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Charlie Brewer slider paddle tail grubs in 1.5" on a 1/16 darter work great. Charlie Brewer charges a bit for the darter heads, but you can buy them much cheaper from Arkie Lures. A 100 pack runs about $18 and the hooks are nice and sharp. White and caterpillar are the most productive colors for me.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
When you guys fish panfish(crappie/gills) do you ever use barrel swivels? When I can’t get a bite I change my bait a lot and tie directly to my line. Sometimes it gets old. Just wondering if you’ve had adverse effects from using them!

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
When you guys fish panfish(crappie/gills) do you ever use barrel swivels? When I can’t get a bite I change my bait a lot and tie directly to my line. Sometimes it gets old. Just wondering if you’ve had adverse effects from using them!
Blackbird swivels with a 00 VMC snap will do it. They're super tiny and work very well. You can get both on Fish USA in a 50 pack and make your own snap swivels. I typically direct tie since I'm usually replacing plastic only, but if I'm going to be swapping lures I'll run a snap or snap swivel.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Blackbird swivels with a 00 VMC snap will do it. They're super tiny and work very well. You can get both on Fish USA in a 50 pack and make your own snap swivels. I typically direct tie since I'm usually replacing plastic only, but if I'm going to be swapping lures I'll run a snap or snap swivel.

[/URL]

[/URL]

sorry that’s what I meant is a snap! Thank you

·
Premium Member
33,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always use swivels... I'm too lazy to be re-tying every time I'm changing baits.

If I think it's a problem - I just tie a short mono leader with a loop on a bunch of baits.... then the swivel is 12" of mono away from the actual bait, and I can still just unclip and switch baits.

·
Premium Member
33,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone ever run a small jig on a ~12" leader tied to the crankbait rear hook split ring (basically a stinger hook)?

I've read about folks down south having a lot of luck with it for crappies.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Anyone ever run a small jig on a ~12" leader tied to the crankbait rear hook split ring (basically a stinger hook)?

I have not done what you describe but I will often troll two jigs at a time using a three way swivel (~3 ft and 8" leads). Caught several doubles this way. I like the crankbait idea too.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I prefer drift fishing for pan fish (and trolling is expensive now.)
A small purple twister tail with a couple of spit shots up a couple of feet, barrel swivel above that. Use two rods and if the fish are there you will be busy.

·
45,095 Posts

Seems like that would hurt the action of the crank. It doesn't take much. But i can see fish liking a small bait trailed behind an "attractor"

·
Registered
160 Posts
I usually drift with the wind
I use the drop shot method w/worm or waxie set the depth where the fish are
I also put a rubber spider 10-12 ' below a small split shot 20-30' behind the boat
my favorite would be "Bobs' Bluegill Buster" tipped with a waxie 30-40' behind the boat no wieght
I bought mine at D&R in Kzoo
probably on line too

1 - 20 of 43 Posts