Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what some of the better colors to go out and buy are for a start atleast.

thanks
tony

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Rapala in Clown pattern but you will have a hard time finding one at the store. But, there are some still around on the private market at reasonable rates.

For night fishing this season it has been a Rapala in the Silver with Chartreuse back (which is a stock plug) and a red snake painted on the sides. The red snake makes it a custom painted job and it will not found at stores. Not hard to put a red snake on yourself.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Can your buddy still paint them?? I have a bunch of silvers, etc that I could recycle?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Don't you hate that....I have those goby and smallie ones and every time I hook them up I get so apprehensive about losing them. I sometimes think I keep the weight away from the bottom for fear of getting hung up. :lol:
Based on your catch numbers, I thought you did????????? :D:D:D

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Can your buddy still paint them?? I have a bunch of silvers, etc that I could recycle?
Yes he still paints, he has 30 hot n tots of mine right now. I can have more painted, but dont like to give him new baits to paint. I traded 6 gallon buckets to bottom line for a bunch of used ones, but never got any beatdown barbie's done out of that batch.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
In Stock colors I'd agree with you fellows....Orange and gold and Hot steel are my two best......but let's not forget a Honorable mention to Purple descent and Brook trout!! and Oh yea....almost forgot.....Vampire!

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
....... and Oh yea....almost forgot.....Vampire!
Spray paint the head of the Vampire and you have a "Bloody Vampire". Just use a couple of those tape eyes from Witchcraft Tape and peel them off after the paint dries. Or, just paint the whole head the brightest red you can find and skip the eyes for a "Bloody Blind Vampire".

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Yes he still paints, he has 30 hot n tots of mine right now. I can have more painted, but dont like to give him new baits to paint. I traded 6 gallon buckets to bottom line for a bunch of used ones, but never got any beatdown barbie's done out of that batch.
There's a lure/gun show next month and I'm hoping to pick up some old rap's for painting. Want a few more DT-158 and some Beatdown Barbie's. The DT-158 was a good producer for me this spring.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
There's a lure/gun show next month and I'm hoping to pick up some old rap's for painting. Want a few more DT-158 and some Beatdown Barbie's. The DT-158 was a good producer for me this spring.
Yeah it is prety much the same scheme. I just wanted to see if I could get anything on PINK. I never caught an eye on pink in the river. Jim and I ran 1 one night and caught nothing. I told him pink sucks...He showed me up by running 2 pink shad raps and smoked them. I am a believer since. I caught alot of fish on that pink rap....Now if rap waould make a stock pink one.. DT 158 is a smoker for sure in the spring

1 - 20 of 26 Posts