Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Congratulations on the new to you rig!...don’t be that guy at the launch though, take it out and practice backing in and out, launching and loading during the week when there’s a lot less people at the ramp, just in case you have any issues or problems. My wife and I took our new boat out this year for the first time when there was virtually no one there just to not have the additional stress of a busy launch, and I drive a F-450 and pull a utility trailer 5 days a week at work.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations on the new to you rig!...don’t be that guy at the launch though, take it out and practice backing in and out, launching and loading during the week when there’s a lot less people at the ramp, just in case you have any issues or problems. My wife and I took our new boat out this year for the first time when there was virtually no one there just to not have the additional stress of a busy launch, and I drive a F-450 and pull a utility trailer 5 days a week at work.
I have no interest in dealing with a busy ramp or getting in people's way. I went to Stoney Creek to practice just because I knew it would be quiet.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
An oldie but goodie. After practicing backing, the next step is find an empty ramp, back it into the water, and test all the plumbing while still on the trailer. The livewell pump plumbing shouldn’t dump water into the boat when it’s turned on or off, but cracked lines can be a nightmare out in the middle of the lake. If that checks out and the bilge is still dry, pull the plug for a few seconds, put it back in, and make sure the bilge does what it’s supposed to do.

I’ve got this thing laying around if you want to put a windscreen on the console. It’s a home made job that came off a boat with a similar console.

C5B9CA1C-7A12-4BEF-AF70-E23BA26E21BF.jpeg

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
My fishing world just got a little bit bigger. If you see someone at the ramp struggling to back his trailer it is probably me. Can't wait to get out and do some exploring.

View attachment 432091 View attachment 432093

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Just a little tease here Billfer. They all look so purty when nothing is in them. I got a 18'er that I barely can get into with all my fishing crap aboard. Have a great time with your new ride and be safe.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An oldie but goodie. After practicing backing, the next step is find an empty ramp, back it into the water, and test all the plumbing while still on the trailer. The livewell pump plumbing shouldn’t dump water into the boat when it’s turned on or off, but cracked lines can be a nightmare out in the middle of the lake. If that checks out and the bilge is still dry, pull the plug for a few seconds, put it back in, and make sure the bilge does what it’s supposed to do.

I’ve got this thing laying around if you want to put a windscreen on the console. It’s a home made job that came off a boat with a similar console.

View attachment 432139
May take you up on the windshield. Live well worked as expected. Good call on testing the bilge actually pumping though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
Does your livewell drain thru the bottom of the boat toward the front? I bought one just like that only tiller steer 2 years ago and it works great for what I use it for. Same color and all. I had to put a new floor in mine but it is not a big job on that boat

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does your livewell drain thru the bottom of the boat toward the front? I bought one just like that only tiller steer 2 years ago and it works great for what I use it for. Same color and all. I had to put a new floor in mine but it is not a big job on that boat
The floor was redone by the previous owner last season and seems to be solid. Encouraging to hear that yours has worked well for you!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
The key to backing in boats (IMO) is to take it slow and not over-correct. The guys that I see struggling to back in trailers are usually going too fast, and constantly making too big of adjustments with the steering. Another trick is to put your hand on the bottom of your steering wheel so that you just move your hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. It also helps to get the truck & trailer as straight as you can and lined up before you start backing it in. Then barely move your wheel as needed.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
The key to backing in boats (IMO) is to take it slow and not over-correct. The guys that I see struggling to back in trailers are usually going too fast, and constantly making too big of adjustments with the steering. Another trick is to put your hand on the bottom of your steering wheel so that you just move your hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. It also helps to get the truck & trailer as straight as you can and lined up before you start backing it in. Then barely move your wheel as needed.
That and most important are your mirrors. Bigger the better

·
Registered
74 Posts
my son has a boat similar to yours and it did not have a windshield. we found out the how much nicer it is to have one but they were difficult to locate on this side of the river, so we had one custom made at a cost of 200.00 plus taxes. (fwiw)

·
Registered
13,482 Posts
Once you take that boat jiggin on the Detroit River 4 days in a row, you'll be able to back it in, in one shot, and quickly. I had a lawn service for a few years, and could back a loaded trailer into my garage, with inches to spare on the driver's side of my truck, and stop within 3 inches of the back wall every time. You just learn to do it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. A little time practicing in an empty parking lot and a couple launches and I'm competent enough at getting it in and out. Irony is I actually ended up fishing less this weekend than I would have as I ended up spending more time working on the boat.

And I'll still definitely do some paddling. I like it too much.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts