Votes: 13 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 31.6%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who here are fans of the golden retreiver. and tell what you use them for and how you train them please..thank you

·
Super Moderator
11,752 Posts
Howdy-

We got ours about 3 or so years ago.....my wife was at our old vet's in Romeo (Krause) and a lady was there with a couple of pups. They struck up a conversation and my wife was offered one on the spot. After convincing me, we got her the next day.

As for training, she started on us immediately! :)

Gracie is now a member of the family, and 'Mom' to Dixie (beagle) and Moo (Jack Russell).

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I'm a fan... they seem like great dogs. Neighbor breeds them and they make great companions.

As for hunting, I've only seen a one golden retriever that hunted. I know there are a bunch out there, but it seems as if hunting is not a primary purpose of the breed these days. Someone on here (sorry for not remembering) has a golden, maybe they can throw you in the direction of a breeder if your planning on hunting the dog.

Personally I'd avoid them simply because of their hair. That's just me. I don't see the sense in all the grooming when there are so many comparable short-haired breeds. (I can just see you Setter folks grinding your teeth)

IMHO

-Scott

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a golden. I was just wondering how many like goldens. And how many hunt them. My golden(jake) hunts. Hes only 1 and a half so he needs some experiance yet. but he does have a nose for grouse.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I voted no, thinking the question was concerning hunting. I grew up with Goldens and loved them but they were never great hunting dogs. I think finding a Golden from hunting stock would be difficult but possible. As a family dog, I think they are great.

·
Registered
838 Posts
We have a three year old golden, she is a great family dog very very playful and friendly,we have her inside an invisble fence on our property,she barks at the deer and tries to scare them but I think they know her range poses no danger to them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didnt do very good on grouse this year(poor shot mostly!!) but the numbers are down. And i believe goldens are good hunters. Theyre one of the top retrievers and upland dogs for america. they come in second. labs are first

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Curly-Coated Retriever
Flat-Coated Retriever
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

I'm doing that to cover my back before people beat me to it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have hunted over goldens for 12 years now and they can compete with Labs or chessies any day!

Now you can't buy a golden that comes from a backyard breeder with 150 lb white colored dogs that they call goldens and expect it to hunt BUT if you buy a feild breed dog they will hunt.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here is a days work !

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Just to put this to rest

My golden has retreived:
Snow geese
Canada Geese
Blue geese
Ross Geese
Mallards
Pintails
Ruffed grouse
Woodcock
Pheasants
Bobwhite quail
Sharptail grouse

all Wild Birds
and she can respect the point of my Setter

More proof:

·
Registered
724 Posts
There is an interesting article in last month's Gun Dog magazine regarding field bred Goldens. From the right lines I'm sure you can get a good hunter. As mentioned in previous posts many breeders are not breeding for the field and those dogs may not be adept in the field.

Regardless of whether they hunt or not there are a lot of very nice goldens out there with a lot of very satisfied owners. That makes them good dogs in my eyes.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
feild goldens are harder to find due to the popularity of the breed with families as a pet.

But there is hope!

Here is a website with a list of breeders who want to keep Goldens in the hunting game.

http://www.fieldgoldenretriever.com/

Goldens hunt hard
Look better than labs
Great with kids

and you get all of the free dog hair you can use!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts