Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little problem and just wanted to check if anyone else has had it. I have a 7 year old GSP male. He is a great hunter will a lot of drive and lots of expirience and has had about 1500 birds shot over him. He is too smart for me, whenever he figures out that we are heading for the truck to quit hunting he starts false pointing in an attempt to get me to keep hunting. Does anyone know a cure for this?

Thanks
Tom

G

·
Keep hunting until he's stiff.

Or start providing another reward that he can look forward to upon arrival back at the truck.

Sounds like a great dog.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hipskindt, You poor thing,

Gee,,,,,,,,,,Everyone should have such problems.:p

Like Alpha Male said.....Sounds like a Great dog.

Good luck with your so called.......... "Problem" :eek:ne_eye:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hipskindt: If you are absolutely sure your dog is false pointing I sure do, it's called heel. teach it, use it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hipskindt

IMO most of the time false pointing is caused by the handler talking to much,over cautioning the dog.To many---(atta boy--find him---get 'em )and so on..Or inexperience.Since your dog has had 1500 birds shot from him I doubt it its inexperience..

If you have over trained or used to heavey of a hand in his training he's over cautious.He's doing what he thinks you want him to do.

Take your dog out for a run where some birds are (Or plant some birds)When your dog has a productive point ( bird point) flush the bird ,pet and praise him after the bird flys off....WHen you head back toward the truck and your dogs makes a non-productive point ignore him and continue walking----Inoring him and walking away shows him your not happy with his actions..iF hes trained to go with you he'll leave the false point and go with you . Few of these sessions should take care of your problem.

"PLEASE" don't take what I'm about to say wrong---The over cautioning cause is easily corrected by keeping ones month closed....Keeping ones mouth closed solves many training problems.Hips not saying this is you just pointing out a fact

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is a good dog and I don't rough handle him but it might be a result of talking too much. I don't know. He worked as a guide dog on a shooting preserve during my two tours in Iraq so I don't know if that effected him because I did not get to hunt him last year because I was in Iraq. He is doing okay and we have killed about 30 birds in the last two weeks since I got back. It may just be working out the kinks from not getting hunted much while I was gone.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I had a GSP that did the same thing. Mine would also point, when I called him to come. In open cover you could watch him, toot the whistle, he'd point. I don't know what caused it, but he got reinforcement, everytime I honored those points.
Finally I got wise to it and the way I fixed it was to re teach him to come when called. Even on point. Whenever he would do it, I would call, then march over and get him by the collar and bring him back to where I originally was and make him sit, tell him he is a good boy at that point, never attempting to flush what may or may not be in front of him. I even set him up on planted birds, and just kept working at it untill he would come, weather pointing a bird or not. I would not use an e-collar for this. I think your going and getting him and dragging him back to the spot you called him from sends a better message, and in the case there may really be a bird there, I never want to nick him with an e-collar when there are birds involved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts