Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally had my pictures developed from this fall's escapades, and I thought that I'd post a few here. All of the fish were taken on either pink or char. spawn bags from a variety of west side tribs. Drift fishing took the most fish, but there were a few bobber fish in there as well.

The higher water levels have been a good thing this fall. What a difference this year has been compared to the last few falls.

Back to the old school:

Some others:

·
Premium Member
10,562 Posts
Awesome pix! I love the red cheeks of fall / winter steel!

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Hey, I'm probably fishing tomorrow and Wed, if either of you are interested?

I finally got off my dead ass and finished tying up my Rainshadow, so I'm itchen to have Steve break it for me :D

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
which rainshadow ya tie up??? RX-7 or Excel graphite?? Them sure make some nice steelie rods... just interested in which models you like out there.

steve

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I think it's the RX. It's a 9.5' 5wt.

I'm getting into the bad habit of getting handles on rods and then throwing them in the corner for the next year since I hate wrapping guides. This ones only been sitting for 5 months though.

I think the RX is a bit stiff for me, but that always seems to be the case.

At $35 though, you won't hear much complaining out of me.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
I used to be strictly a 'Sage" man, but after their prices went through the roof and they discontinued the RPL+ model, I ordered a couple Rainshadow IM7 blanks (10' 6 weight and 9'6" 5 weight, $60.00 per blank)...just to try them out. Afer using them for about a year now, I can say without a doubt that both of those are the finest steelhead rods I've ever used!! I got a couple heavier action blanks that I'm going to use for Kings this next fall...hopefully they'll withstand the abuse, but like I said, anymore, I wouldn't use anything but the Rainshadows to build my steelhead rods.

I just got done building one for a guy at work and a few more people are interested...maybe I should raise my asking price for a custom built Rainshadow...or at least get a "kick back" from the company! :)

I finally got off my dead ass and finished tying up my Rainshadow, so I'm itchen to have Steve break it for me
I believe you're confusing me with Joe, the Breaker of someone elses rods! ;) But, if having that rod broken by me means that much to you, Caddis, I'm sure I can oblige. Why don't you just let me "field test" it this summer when the Kings are in! "That's what I'm talking about!"

I'm shocked you didn't post that "action" photo of me... :D

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I had a rx7 10ft 7wt tied up this summer. Crank down the drag and let the rod do the work. Fish dont stand a chance!!! Riverman

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the 10' 6wt Rainshadow tied into a drift rod as well. I absolutely love this rod. They are sensitive, light, and reasonably priced.

I even happened into some "accidental" kings this fall while using it, and it handled the brutes admirably. I was impressed.

And don't believe a word that Steve says about breaking other people's rods. When Steve sets the hook and hits my rod, and his is the one that happens to break...I call that fate. Besides, we all know Steve's famous "Now that's what I'm talkin' about" hooksets. ;)

I think that we do need some action shots of the Steve Hutchins cigarette puffing, saggy waders, one-armed fish fighting method. For those who've never witnessed it, you're missing a true living artform. Just wait until he jumps out of a moving boat to chase a scrawny salmon...

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
:D :D :D

Just for the record, and I shant deny any of the above, but explain for the readers how your rod may have been in a position to get struck by mine, thus breaking mine. Hmmm...the only way that could have happened is if someone casted over my line, out of turn I might add, and naturally, their rod would be over mine at some point...the point when I felt a hit and needed to set the hook. Don't forget to mention your Sage splintering escapades with that carp...wait a minute, wasn't that MY Sage you were using? Yes, yes, Indeed it was! ;)

Which jumping out of the moving boat incident are you talking about? Please clarify since there was more than one...

As for my hooksets...so I bend a few hooks on impact, have tendenittis in my right elbow and some neck, shoulder issues from strenuous use, big deal! LOL! It's not like I hit you with sinkers or anything...

:p :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And, just for the record, that carp incident was an act of the fish gods. What am I supposed to do when a 20+ lb buglemouth decides to belly roll on top of it? Grab him in mid air? I think not...

Hey, at least I don't throw my rods into the river over a salmon. I've heard the expression "throwing in the towel," but if you want to hint to Gene or me that you don't want to hit kings anymore, you don't actually have to "throw in the rod."

Steve: "My rod! My rod!"
Gene and Joe: uncontrolled laughter
(Expensive custom Sage dips out of sight while being pulled by an average sized king salmon.)
Steve: "I'm not laughing!"

Never hit me with sinkers, eh? Hmm...then why were people asking me if I had been shot in the face? What about that Loomis to the temple that I took while chasing skams with you this past summer?

And let's not even start to talk about proper spawn scent. You could put a skunk to shame with some of your jars. Oh, this one has only sat in your car for two months during the summer. It must still be good...:rolleyes:
:D

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
lol, that sounds mighty like me fishing..... acts out of the ordinary... catching fish by a stringer... losing a rig then catching the same fish by the rig that was hanging out of its mouth about an hour later..... The fish gods sure have an awkward sense of humor.

steve

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
LOL! That was a classic moment indeed. I set the hook with my usual intensity, fish rips back at the same time and yanks the rod from my hand...narrowly missing Gene's head as it flies by and dives like a javelin in the river behind the boat. I can laugh about it now...since we lifted anchor, went downstream, saw my rod dragging across the river bottom and I skillfully dove in, grabbed the rod on the fly off the river bottom and then fought and landed the fish. The bad part was that I soaked my pack of smokes in the process.

Sure made up for the embarrasing incident a couple weeks prior to that! "Oh 'F' it, I'll go get the damn thing!" :)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Witness !!!! thats one of the first things I noticed when I saw Steve in action.... I think I mentioned something also, nothing wrong with that hook-set..

D

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
I would be glad to test that new Rainshadow rod for you. I have tried to break some of my rods, but have not been able to, yet. I pull and pull, and have even skipped some fish (some large fish) along the surface a few times, but cannot get my Sage G-II to break. I have some IMXs that I haven't tested so much, and a Loomis GL3 - 3 power that I don't think can be broken.
I would love to see what your rod can do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That sounds like what my friends and I call a "Bill Dance Hookset".
When the rod goes past 180' to the fish, and then violently dips to the left or the right making an effort not to break. Ive seen a Sage quickly become a 3 piece rod with this method.

:D

But you do get extra points for style;)

Jeff

·
Registered
920 Posts
PHLYPHISHER

I was fishing your waters a lot this winter. Sorry I did not run into you. Looks like you had fun.

Some of those fish look a little old?

I did just ok, but they were all chrome.

Good fishin'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts