Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum has more or less been pretty dead, so it's time to talk about hunting again......anyone else getting pumped up to hunt some birds this fall? Seems as though I have been seeing birds EVERYWHERE around my area, so it should be a great time here in a few weeks!

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
If you have a tag for Area J, please make every effort to fill it.

Forget about stalking that big tom, take a nice young jake of the year (better to eat, anyway) or a hen that more than likely won't make it through the winter anyway this year without supplemental winter feeding, and I know that a lot of people won't be feeding in many areas. Much better to end their lives quickly than to let them suffer. Even if feeding is allowed, we're not sure how much we as the Traverse Bay Chapter of MWTHA can afford, with corn currently at an all time high of $7.95 a bag...we spent $15,000 last winter, we do not have the money to do it again. I doubt any of the people who feed privately do, either.

So, please fill that tag.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Got my tag for private land in Oakland County. I think I will pass on the 3 large Toms that I have been getting pics of an take a jake or a hen for the deep fryer.:D:D

The big boy that I got mounted this spring would have been tough as nails. Gotta get a eater this fall.

Good luck to all.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I will be out there as usual.

I will be looking to fill my tag with an adult hen to thin down the breeding stock a little.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Most people have no idea how to fall turkey hunt the right way, so don't find it at all entertaining and sporting. There's something like 5000 tags in Area J this year, of which I heard 3500 are still available, and with the ban on baiting, I don't expect hardly any of those to be filled, as most were undoubtedly purchased by archery deer hunters hoping to fill a fall turkey tag as one wanders by underneath their stand...which was illegal to do over bait, anyway, even before the ban went through.

So now I doubt very many will be taken at all...even if there are people out there with tags.

I'll be out there...and everyone I know who has a tag will be dragged out there with me.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I'll be looking for thanksgiving dinner! Goodluck to all you fall turkey guys.

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
I love the fall hunt and will be gunning for a poult again in area GB.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I saw five nice toms the other day while out squirrel hunting. Can't wait.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts