Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This fall I am going to the PM to fish for salmon. Im trying to come up with the best methods of catching these fish, along with steelhead. I've done a little research on here and come up with some info on skein. What are some other ways to catch them? I'm planning on having a fly fishing setup and a spinning setup.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
opening a can-o-worms i see lol's any ways a lot of pople swear buy oslo-glo's it is a spinner they use on the manistee/ elseware. what they do is inflate a worm with a worm blower and add it to the hooks of the spinner. then drift the oslo threw the holes that are holding salmon hopeing for a take. me i prefer flies but have tried oslo glos with out luck. must have to hold there mouths just right for it or some thing:confused: . any ways i use a bottom bounceing set up that ticks the bottom of the river slowing the fly down so they can see it. all it is an 3 way tied to the main line of the rod/reel then a weight 6 inches be low it on the three way swivel and 6 foot leader from the 3 way swivel to the fly. that or you could go head hunting with husky jerks and other stick baits they use 50 pound braid to pull them out of brush i do not fish that way but it happens. and the last is anchoring up with hot -n-tots or flat fish. and then letting them out behind the boat to liek swim every 20-30 minutes you have to pull up the anchor and drift close to the trees foceing the fish back they think thsoe flat fish are other fish and smack the flat fish you are using. got to remember king salmon are not there to eat there throat swell closed and will crush skien with their tungs but not to swallow it any of this stuff said could get you one of of teritorallality. any waysif you need more info just ask.

any ways best of luck.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Me and a buddy go over to the Sault rapids just about every weekend in the fall and fish the king/pink run. See alot of steelhead caught too, but never been able to connect with one. We get there around 5:30 and fish glow in the dark little cleo spoons, then as the sun comes up we begin fishing all kinds of different cleo colors. These are all we use, and we almost always come back with fish. (we went one weekend at the end of the run and saw a bunch but they were completely spent so no use in catching em anyways).

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Do you have a recommendations for flies?

vailed glo bugs with like a halo of white egg yarn around orange glo bugs worked for me. also could try moe eggs in a skien chunk or skien patren. or skien it self lol's seen the other post. skien worked best uncure for me so it was still soft and gooie. but if you use cure do it after you fished for a wile on the skien. cause some time uncured works better then cured.casue it still has it natrual color to it still a milky orange color. once you cure then they become a darker orange cause the water is drawn out of them to firm them up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts