Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, we’re entering fall and I just got my boat back. Haven’t been out since early June. What does the fall typically have in store for guys fishing the D? I grew up a spring and summer walleye and perch fisherman, but never went out much in the fall. No times I can remember anyways. I’m a little hesitant to bring my boat out on the big lake, so I’m pretty much exclusively looking for what the River has to offer. Any decent number of walleye usually? If they’re there, is jigging usually effective or is it mostly bottom bouncing catching the fish? Does perch pick up? I can’t imagine it makes a huge difference, but I typically fish mid river with a little bit of lower. Excited to get back out there between hunting trips!

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
For us mid Walleye slows way down and if trying I jig like the spring, it's been a tough summer, so fall ??....I usually fish A bridge area or lower in fall anyhoo, upper can be better too, not sure what's up with "mid" river, maybe just not enough effort ?!....

Perch does pick up and can be good all over, move-move-move to find fish....same for Walleye, lol....but Perch are usually schooled up pretty good....we had a great Nov. last year for Perch, and the weather was awesome too, that makes a BIG difference as well !!!....

Always enjoy reports, lol....good fishing !....cheers....

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Jigging in the fall can be just as good as the spring. Lots of quick limits last year, and the fish are usually a good average size. It takes a little more searching sometimes, but when you find them, it’s game on. I only jig them in the fall, never tried bouncing in the fall.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Fall is one of my favorite times to walleye fish in the River. Less crowds cooler weather and an early sunset, which all equal great fishing for walleye in my book. I typically fish A bridge and up, mostly jig but will BB at times and both produce fish. A lot of times I'll be the only boat in that area NOT Muskie fishing. Some of my best days have been on NOV 15

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Two falls ago was amazing on the CAN side from mid October until it got too cold to fish. One evening in the upper, 3 of us caught 40 in 4 hrs and most were 3-4 lbs. But then last year we couldn’t fish over there. We had some decent fishing in the mid-river area, but not like the year before.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app. https://SlimshadyCustoms.com

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Two falls ago was amazing on the CAN side from mid October until it got too cold to fish. One evening in the upper, 3 of us caught 40 in 4 hrs and most were 3-4 lbs. But then last year we couldn’t fish over there. We had some decent fishing in the mid-river area, but not like the year before.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app. https://SlimshadyCustoms.com
It was just as good last year take my word for it 😉 Could have placed very well in a tournament with the pigs we caught, had my single best day for weight last November.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm from Grand Rapids. Never fished Detroit River. Would like to take my 84-year old uncle shore fishing for walleye this fall. Can you recommend a place or two to fish? Late October, early November.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Have a little more general intel on fall 'eyes. Got a nice walleye and lost another while pike fishing a cut off the north channel of Lake St Clair that was no more than 8ft maximum depth. Was literally burning a pretty large shad imitation crank when the 'eye hit savagely. Had I found the walleyes earlier, I could have had a very nice day of walleye action (they were in an area of higher current than the pike), but I was pretty beat, and it was starting to rain so I called it an evening.

So they can be pretty aggressive, and really have the feedbag on, and might be way shallower and closer in than expected. I've caught my biggest ones with fast and often slashing presentations... like fleeing baitfish (duh!). Cooler water does not necessarily imply slower speeds for fall 'eyes, who can really defy stereotypes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm from Grand Rapids. Never fished Detroit River. Would like to take my 84-year old uncle shore fishing for walleye this fall. Can you recommend a place or two to fish? Late October, early November.
Quite a few places I go. (I don't mind posting it public).
#1 for me lately is the end of Lee Road. Go inside Lake Erie Metropark Marina and park, and then walk down to the river. If you have a handicap sticker, you're allowed to drive down the pedestrian walkway to a little 4 spot handicap lot at the water.
#2. Labo Park. It's on South Huron Drive east of "downtown" South Rockwood. (downtown South Rockwood is a gas station :) ). I've had somewhat good luck catching walleyes at the mouth of a creek that feeds into the Huron River there.
#3. The new Wildlife Refuge in Trenton. FWS or some government agency built a fishing pier out into the Detroit River. It's not bad. Although it goes out all the way, try your luck off the sides about a third of the way out. Close to the shore as you can get without getting frustrated with reeling in more cabbage than fish. You'll likely to catch more bluegills than anything else, but I have caught some nice walleye too.

Some may suggest Huroc Park in Flat Rock or Elizabeth Park in Trenton. To me, it's just too snaggy for the effort. I'm sure many will come out of the woodwork and disagree. If you do want to try those, I seem to have my best luck with a three way bottom rig. Heavy sinker. A full worm (or two) on a 2/0 or 3/0 circle hook. But you'll catch more cats and sheeps than you will walleye if you ask me.

I myself tend not to go to Wyandotte or Ecorse. Too many "elbow to elbow" for the effort. Both are good places to get an occasional "lunker".
Although I think could be good places to shore fish, there seems to be too many people banging around on the boardwalk and making all sorts of noise.
I think folks could do a lot better there if others could be a bit more quiet and not scare the fish away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A buddy and I got the report Saturday from the Fishing Hot Line (Thanks Captain Dan) that proclaimed that the Walleye were back in the "D". Based on that, we decided to make the trip. We were not disappointed. We Boated 10 really nice Walleye in the 2-3 pound range. Also caught numerous 5+ pound Sheep plus a bonus 47" Muskie. Fished the Cormorant tower drift at the mouth of the lake. Best fishing was in 32 fow. White Jig with red eyes, Blue Ice Finness minnow. No live minnows. All in All a great night.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
A good option during the day is Belle isle. Unfortunately they kick people out at dusk, which is the very best time to catch the real pigs. It's where I got my second walleye ever, which happened to be 29 inches, slashing in a big x rap just before dusk on a warm early November day. They'll hit cranks, jigs with twister tails, and lures like swim shads. I found my best spot by looking at a depth map and looking where there was deep water near shore and some structure. Find water that's about 15 feet deep within casting distance.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A good option during the day is Belle isle. Unfortunately they kick people out at dusk, which is the very best time to catch the real pigs. It's where I got my second walleye ever, which happened to be 29 inches, slashing in a big x rap just before dusk on a warm early November day. They'll hit cranks, jigs with twister tails, and lures like swim shads. I found my best spot by looking at a depth map and looking where there was deep water near shore and some structure. Find water that's about 15 feet deep within casting distance.
Belle Isle officially closed at 10pm. I usually get kicked out around 930-945. Ive never really fished there in November though, but I dont see why it would be different. Gone there for evening walks in the winter and pretty much had the place to myself after dark. Were you kicked out at dusk since it became a state park?

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Nice work. About how many inches would that be?

I only have a real concept of weights for really big walleyes, like in the upper 20s inch range and above.
A 2 lb walleye will generally be around 19-20 inches. A 3 lb’er will be 21-22. 4 lbs (23-24) and so on. From about 24 inches and up, you can add roughly 1-lb per inch all the way up. There are obviously exceptions, but that’s a good rule of thumb. So that makes it easy. A 24” fish is roughly 4 lbs. A 29” fish is roughly 9 lbs, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.