Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten behind on my preparation for planting my Imperial Clover. Is is too late to plow and disk and plant yet this year? Or would it be to my advantage to plow and disk this fall and again in the spring and then plant the clover in spring? My concern is that if I try to rush the planting, the weeds may not be killed off enough and they could come up and choke out the clover. Oh yeah, I have about an acre of a 5 acre grass field that I want/can afford to plant. Any suggestions? Thanks.
ben

·
Registered
114 Posts
SS, do not plant now. If the seedlings do not have 40-50 days on them before a hard frost they will mostly die. Continue working the soil and lime and fertilize as needed. We now offer an organic fertilizer in liquid form and also a liquid lime.

------------------
http://www.deerclover.com

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom. I'll keep discing up the the area and hopefully it will be weed free by spring. The soil is mostly clay and the top dries out a day after using the disc on it. What would you recommend to pack the area, or is clay packed enough? I've heard of pulling an old bedspring over the area or using a yard roller. My concern is packing the soil too much and ruining the seeds chance to grow.

I have a small bag of imperial clover seed I bought from bass pro shops. Do I need to use anything else with it (ie jumpstart or 30-06) or is it good by iteslf?

Thanks,

ben

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have planted Imperial clover several times with good results. I pull a lawn roller before and after the seed is broadcast. I would think that clay ground will grow clover good. Clay retains moisture longer than other soil types.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Tom do you or anyone know of a spray that will kill crab grass and not harm clover? That seems to be my worst enemy for my plots.

·
Banned
694 Posts
I don't know of anything to spray crabgrass with that won't also wipe out your clover.
As far as packing goes, I use a peice of chainlink fence with a skid on top. After I spread out the seed, I drag the fence over top.
Hope that helps you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts