Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering what everybody's observations on the size of the fall-run fish this year? Most of the fish I've caught have been small, 5-6lbs, my biggest so far this fall/winter is alittle over 8lbs. Anybody else seem to be getting smaller fish, or is it just me?

·
Registered
318 Posts
so far i have had the same experiece myself. lots of 5-8lb fish with a decent one here and there. I thought this year would be the chron for big fish but so far that has not been the case. It seems that every year the fish get smaller and smaller. When i first started steelhead fishing about 5 years ago, the average size of the fish was 8-10 lbs with some bruisers thrown in as well(2 14 lbs the first year), but ever since then, i havnt even came close to beating those fish. I guess the real question is "Does size really matter?".

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I've caught quite a few steelhead this fall/winter and I've noticed that size wise they've either been on the small side or bruiser males. Not as many midsize hens as usual.

Mitch

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Little manistee we pulled some decent size fish out and lost 6 other fish. The rivers I have been fishin lately are only seein small fish but i'm not complaining:) I did hook 3 last week but only saw one which was a smaller male it looked like.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Most of my fish have been average as far as the hens go, but there have been alot less males and they are much smaller. Nothing in the 10#+ class yet as far as males go. The brown this year have been quite large however (10, 12, 15#)

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
I have seen some big males10-15lbs caught this year from the St Clair river,I would guess and say the hens are about average 5-8lbs.Where as the browns hemmmm what is one of those?They played Hudini over here this fall:eek:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Early in the fall i was hooking some bruiser male steelhead. Though since thanksgiving I dont think i have hooked or landed a steelhead over 22 inches in the Little Manistee.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Typical fall run...when I say that, I'm referring to size variance, not over all numbers (which were probably my best ever). Lots of 5 to 6 lbers, several in the 8 to 10 range and a few here and there in the 10 to 12lbs.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Have had the opportunity to get out quite a bit here in SW Michigan and so far... have had an excellent fall/winter on the steel.

Early on in October, November, and early December.... seemed to land quite a few fish in the 8# - 11# range. (I have 8 that have tipped the scales at 10# or better) Seems like lately they have been running more in the 4# - 7# range. (Although I have been chasing the whities more lately :D )

My biggest so far this fall/winter have been a 14.5# buck... and a 13.0# hen.... with the ratio of males to females being about 40/60.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Up on the NW side of our great state the fish have been all around 8-12 lbs...Down here in the thumb tributaries they have all been small, some even barely 15 inches and about 3-4 lbs with the exception of the 8-9 male I caught Monday...which is the one in my avatar to the left.

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Kings seemed a little on the smaller side this year. In Rogers City we can usually pull a couple of fish over the 22# mark in the late summer/fall, this year they seemed to average the mid to high teens.

Steelies seem to be about normal on the east side from what I've seen, however, the run seems to be a little better than normal this year.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I have to agree on the browns, alot of big boys, I hit a 10lb male and a 15+lb male, and seen some monsters in the river I fish for LRB's, the hens were alot smaller, 5-6lbs, some smaller, some a little bigger, and I seen a 13.03lb male come from the Au Sab ....And speaking of hens, I've only landed one female steelhead this fall/winter, the rest have been bucks in the 4-7lb range, very weird, my partner on the other hand, a couple males and the rest hens, figure that one out:D !

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
my river fishin this fall as been limted the fish I have takan have been small.I mainly fish lk. huron and i's trip's.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Seems pretty average to me. Ive got a few hens, all of which were in the 6-7, pound range. Males seem to be average or above with most in the 8-10 pound range and a few tippin the scales to around 13 pounds. Skippers seemed present in early fall and then the major spurt of fish coming up in late Nov/early Dec.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts