Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy Dan and myself decided not to attend the Geno's outing and instead went our favorite Fairhaven hotspot. Saw a ton of toads:eek:, caught 59 but some were border-line throwbacks. I saw a perch the had to go 16 if not bigger. If you were to place a measuring tape across it's back it would have been 3" wide!!! One mudpuppy was in Dan's hole and I saw a largemouth cruise through... Fish had the feedbags strapped on!!! Off the ice at 11:30 while the bite was still going... Hot tips,,, Get away from the crowds and fish s-h-a-l-l-o-w... :cool:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/533/1890DCP_1097-1-med.jpg
Dan's toads!!!

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/533/1890Dcp_1098-1-med.jpg

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Well, I screwed up. I was at Gino's today. Serious discussions were had LAST NIGHT about going to FairHaven and I think I talked half our group out of it and to hitting Gino's instead.

Sorry Brian. I should have listened.

Remember, never leave fish to find fish.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nice fish G. Guess I should have listed to my gut and went to Fair Haven instead of Gino's with all the others. Didn't see a fish, not even a bump and from the sounds of it on the radio, the guy's who went out for the outing, and all the guy's who didn't listen to the poll for location for the outing didn't do vary well either. OH well I'll be fishing your holes tomorrow morning. :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wouldn't say it was all bad today. Not at all.
Nice to meet up with Slowpoke and a few others around 11:30am.
Set up shop with a friend due South of the group at Crocker DNR ramp and managed 17 nice perch before 10am. Nothing under ten inches with a hand full pushing 14 inches.
Missed close to a dozen early on, they just wouldn't suck the minnows in far enough to get a hook set.
Moved around a bit, sure is nice having a machine (thanks KRT!!) to haul the shanty and gear now, and couldn't find another bite at all.
Sure would have enjoyed meeting more people out there today but, I had to leave the ice by 1pm to look at a van and attend family birthday celebrations.
Did anyone stick around for the evening "bite" ?

-LB :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ginos evening bite was good. Best last 20 minutes before hard dark. It was a cold one for me since I ran outta propane even while I rashioned it before sundown. In a shanty I was still shivering but I just wouldn't give up with them pigs down there snatchin up my minnows. Did farely today.....slow to nothing most of the time but picked up a couple here and there.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Whatever happened to the evening bite starting a 4:00 or 4:30???:confused:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'd take a guess at all the comotion out there today. With that kind of crowd making a racket that way them fish get lockjaw and also scatter all over.

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
I threw a bunch of white rocks down the hole and I only saw about 8 perch and a ski swim through the hole all day..They just weren't around they had been for thur and fri..

From the pics I have seen...They have moved S down the coast. Need to go get a sled!

Hey gsepan.......Did you go E or W??????

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry about the slow bite at the outing... I'm sure all still had an enjoyable day with fellow M-S-er's... I wished I could have been there but I'm testing the water's so to speak... The wife wasn't to happy about last week's all dayer that I pulled from sunup to sundown. Some women just don't understand...:rolleyes:

I failed to mention that we were using Ken's hooks, Minnow's on the tinyest of jigs and throwing the steel... Those yellowbellies better watch out because I'm getting better with this force feeding thing... I even winged one and left him wounded on the bottom before resticking him and tossing into the bucket.
;)

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Fast Ed and I were out at Fair Haven also,,we were down your way Gsepan except we were way out in fast Eds spear shack.
About 9:00 I put out a call for MSer's on ch 1 and 7 and did not get a responce so I thought we were the only one's out in Fair Haven
We did very well also,,the big groups of fish were very aggressive and were slammin the minnows but when the small groups (1to3 fish) came in we would have to put a little iron in thire diet..Fast Ed took some pics but I will have to show him how to post them later.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dean,

Glad to hear you did well too! I had my radio but never turned it on... I too thought everyone else was down at Geno's. School size was at least a dozen up to 30 fish at a time and yes,,,, Very active feeders. I'm just glad we found them in the same area that was productive early on in the season. 1/4 mile walk was to my liking!!!

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Yep we had some very large schools around us also,,Fast Ed was woundering if there were any fish in close but since his shanty was already set up we went for the comfort.
I tell ya the fish seem to be all over that area so I don't see how any one could have missed!!.
I talked to some other people last night and they got a lot of fish strait out from Jigger's ,,,I also talked to someone who was strait out from the launch and they did well to so the fish seem to be all over Fair Haven!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
i stayed till dark last night and never got a bite after 4, was a great sunset though... gonna have to give fairhaven a shot, gettin tired of walkin a mile to 1 1/2miles out..lol anyone wanna show me how to spear perch?? never done it and think its a great time to learn... :D thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
Fasteight, heading out tomorrow if the winds don't get any higher then today. I have room in my shanty and an extra spear if your interested.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
thanks guys... i dont think i could make it out in the mornin, my better half works midnights and i get the kids off to school... would be interested in goin in the afternoon though, can make it out usually anytime after 12:30.... thanks for the opportunity...

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Originally posted by JEFFK
Nice fish G. Guess I should have listed to my gut and went to Fair Haven instead of Gino's with all the others. Didn't see a fish, not even a bump.

Some did good, some did ok. I think most had fun. I also think some guys fishing that day caught the biggest perch of there lives.

I'm sure its just me. but I'd rather have a chance of pulling home 20- 12" to 13" perch and a Walleye, than sort through 7 inchers all day to get a fish 9" to 11 inch. The day of the outing I only took home 18 or 19 fish. (lost 5 in the hole when my shanty blew over) But those fish made 3 bags in my freezer. I'v had days when cleaning 7" 8" and 9 inch perch where it would take 35 to 40 to fill the same bags. I'm not knocking Fair Haven but personally If we put it to another vote for an outing next weekend I'd still pick Crocker

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Not me,,,,, TOO CRAZY out there on the weekends!!!!! I'll take Fairhaven any day!!!!

Besides that, quite a few people can attest to the size of the perch out there......

Not to mention that its only a 5 minutes drive for me:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts