Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, I did not post TC's article to attack him personally or cause him any embarrassment. I hoped to have a few laughs and burn up some time during the late afternoon. Like many of us, he now understands the wayward ways of how Great Lakes Salmon/Steelhead fishing has been bastardized by the fly fishing community for proprietary gain. Let us all learn, and seek to educate these lost souls. Let the fly fishing community speak out against flossing, fouling, lining, going 2 for 20, bobber flossing, chuck-n-ducking, and other abhorrent practices. Let fisher persons rejoice, and practice fair and sporting methods for our noblest of sport. Let frustration, fish less days, and sleepless nights, reign above tackle sales, guided trips, and delusions of grandeur.

Here is a fair hooked streamer King I caught on the BM. Fair hooked fish on flies are invariably hooked inside the mouth and at the front of the mouth-at the beak. This fish was taken on the rear hook of a tandem hook fly. The hook is stuck inside the fish's mouth, under the upper gum line.

Here is a photo I lifted from a MI guide site today. This is a classic representation of flossing/lining. The hook is buried outside the jaw hinge and into the lower, outside jaw and gill plate. Please be advised flossing/lining can also occur when flies are bumped into the fish's mouth and drawn against the inside corner of the mouth giving the appearance of a fair hooked fish. Go forth, and spread the good news. Education will lead to enlightenment.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Here is a fair hooked streamer King I caught on the BM. Fair hooked fish on flies are invariably hooked inside the mouth and at the front of the mouth-at the beak. This fish was taken on the rear hook of a tandem hook fly. The hook is stuck inside the fish's mouth, under the upper gum line.
Liar! I refuse to believe that YOU have caught a king on a streamer. THAT, sir, is only reserved for a privileged few! :lol::lol::lol:

I love tandem hook flies. What fly is that? Is it articulated? Articulated Marabous in purple and firetiger are great tandem flies.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Blah, Blah, Blah, I say do whatever you want to do. Fish how you want to fish. Just don't kid yourself and sugar coat it.

Most importantly, I like dude's hat, wonder where he got it? I'd like to get one for TC!

:)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I too like the hat! I noticed it before I looked at the fish!
IBTL!!!:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
I myself would like to know where you could get some hats like that for X-mas gifts to my co-workers:lol:

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
You doing Alaska this year SLO1.:)

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Let's keep the thread on track guys and not distracted by other stuff, slamming of members as well as other anglers who choose to use another method of fishing that is noble in their eyes and use it in a legal manner.

·
Super Moderator
37,859 Posts
Salmon will slam streamers or anything else that annoys them/ invades thier space enough. A flashy #2 rattling streamer has what it takes.
I really don't think a #12 caddis ticks them off enough.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Love the hat! You'd get pissed too all them flies buzzing around your head.:D

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Salmon will slam streamers or anything else that annoys them/ invades thier space enough. A flashy #2 rattling streamer has what it takes.
I really don't think a #12 caddis ticks them off enough.

Okay Mr. P you've used that "rattling streamer" thingie two times within the past week. I know what a rattle (baby type) is. I know what a rattlesnake (venomous) is. I know what a rattlin' crankbait (fishy stuff) is. I can rattle someone's chains, rattle a gift before Christmas to see what it sounds like, ratttle n' tattle, I can even rattle my way to ol' Virginey, but what the heck is a "rattling streamer"?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Okay Mr. P you've used that "rattling streamer" thingie two times within the past week. I know what a rattle (baby type) is. I know what a rattlesnake (venomous) is. I know what a rattlin' crankbait (fishy stuff) is. I can rattle someone's chains, rattle a gift before Christmas to see what it sounds like, ratttle n' tattle, I can even rattle my way to ol' Virginey, but what the heck is a "rattling streamer"?

I could be wrong, but I don't think a rattling streamer is a specific pattern...more a streamer that incorporates a rattle. From what I know, it can be done a couple of ways. You can get something likes these:

They are typically made of pyrex I think. They now make them in the form of eyes that you would tie into your pattern as well.

Or you can make a simple rattle with beads:

http://www.flyfishga.com/bead_rattle/bead-rattle.htm

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here is a photo I lifted from a MI guide site today. This is a classic representation of flossing/lining. The hook is buried outside the jaw hinge and into the lower, outside jaw and gill plate. Please be advised flossing/lining can also occur when flies are bumped into the fish's mouth and drawn against the inside corner of the mouth giving the appearance of a fair hooked fish. Go forth, and spread the good news. Education will lead to enlightenment.

I don't see that fish on a stringer. Flossed, maybe, on purpose or on accident, who knows. Fowl hooked, yes. I don't care what method you use, you are going to fowl hook a fish in the river during the run once in a while. This person looks like he enjoyed the outdoors, probably had a great fight landing that fish, got a great pic of a beautiful fish (and hat), and spent money the the area doing it.

As a sportsman, I would get a nice pic with that fish and release it back into the river, which I have done many times. I don't see what's un-sportsmanlike about that. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,126 Posts
Paul took some of my over-sized thundercreek patterns, made them out of flash and added a rattle under the epoxy head.

Deadly!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't see that fish on a stringer. Flossed, maybe, on purpose or on accident, who knows. Fowl hooked, yes. I don't care what method you use, you are going to fowl hook a fish in the river during the run once in a while. This person looks like he enjoyed the outdoors, probably had a great fight landing that fish, got a great pic of a beautiful fish (and hat), and spent money the the area doing it.

As a sportsman, I would get a nice pic with that fish and release it back into the river, which I have done many times. I don't see what's un-sportsmanlike about that. :)

I have to agree . who knows, that might be his only chance to fish all year, and he may have saved his hard earned cash to do it. i have alot of clients who are fisherman, and now matter how bad the stock market sucks, or how much their 401K plan is losing, you get them on the subject of their annual fishing trip and they forget all about it, and realize life aint all that bad. I recall where that pic came from,the report read that "Kings and Pinooks have been taken on black, chartreuse, yellow, olive and white streamers".
if the fish can swim off and do its thing to produce more, i dont see the real big issue. if the fly was stuck in its back or belly, that may cause for some real dicussion and from the impression i get from the guide service it came from, they would have probably wouldnt have taken a pic and posted for all of us to see.

Nice Fish.

·
Super Moderator
37,859 Posts
It is a rip off of a Shoeman pattern, with a few modifications.
I had a thread I posted before on tying them, but I seem to have deleted the pics. I will try to get some up today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Let the fly fishing community speak out against flossing, fouling, lining, going 2 for 20, bobber flossing, chuck-n-ducking, and other abhorrent practices.

How on earth do you "bobber floss"? A vertical presentation is virtually impossible to "floss" a fish.

In my experience I've plenty of salmon unquestionably slam my chokers or skein under a float. All were hooked in the roof of the mouth as you had so eloquently outlined as "fair."

The way I see it when a fisherman inadvertently fouls a fish, so be it. Release the fish go and return to fishing. Where I have a problem is when a guy shows up to the the river with the sole purpose of snagging. I.E. a big yellow tuna rod, a treble, and a piece of yarn.

Thus I avoid Tippy and Homestead like the plague this time of year.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
How on earth do you "bobber floss"? A vertical presentation is virtually impossible to "floss" a fish.

In my experience I've plenty of salmon unquestionably slam my chokers or skein under a float. All were hooked in the roof of the mouth as you had so eloquently outlined as "fair."

The way I see it when a fisherman inadvertently fouls a fish, so be it. Release the fish go and return to fishing. Where I have a problem is when a guy shows up to the the river with the sole purpose of snagging. I.E. a big yellow tuna rod, a treble, and a piece of yarn.

Thus I avoid Tippy and Homestead like the plague this time of year.
An indy rig is an easy way to floss fish in swift shallow runs. Two flies, a few splitshot in the right spot, and sweeping your rod as your "indicator" goes over the fish can actually be a very effective method for lining fish. If you don't believe me try it with a few bare hooks. You will be amazed at how many fish you can hook in the mouth.

Normally when fishing bobbers or indicators you want your presentation in front of your fly. Not so when you are trying to line them. You want your rig angled away from you by about 45 degrees. And you can normally point your rod tip downstream, when your "indicator" is perpendicular to you. Another big no no in normal bobber fishing.

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
I think that "bobber flossing" is when someone uses a bobber, but also places a LONG leader below the bobber. So the bobber to the weight is a vertical presentation, but below the weight there is still a long line to swing and attempt to bump into and hook fish incidentally. Sounds like a lot of work to get a hook into fish, when they aren't in a biting mood.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I think that "bobber flossing" is when someone uses a bobber, but also places a LONG leader below the bobber. So the bobber to the weight is a vertical presentation, but below the weight there is still a long line to swing and attempt to bump into and hook fish incidentally. Sounds like a lot of work to get a hook into fish, when they aren't in a biting mood.
Ah. Ok gotcha. But why bother with the bobber then? It does seem like extra work.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.