Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished yesterday afternoon and this morning. Caught 50 or so yesterday and kept 30 biggest being 10". Ice was good, foung anywhere from 4 - 7" thick. Caught 70 this morning only keeping 20 or so, biggest was 9". The strong south wind was pounding this morning and the permenant that was out there with orange tape around it sunk. Lost quite a bit of ice this morning and probably more as i type. Ice conditions are getting sloppy due to the extra volume of water from the wind pushing water out of old holes. Dont know how much longer it will hold up so be very cautious out there! Open water is forming closer and closer between the launch and the raft. Behind the raft looked to be holding up a little better but didnt go out on it. Be careful out there and good luck!:bash:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
i was out there at 630 set up by the now suken shanty got a few little one moved in closer to the bar the mud was jus rolling from the waves i caught 7 fish from 630-1100. the duck on the other hand souned like they had some fun i should shot at donald 2 day

·
Registered
923 Posts
one guy catches over 150 and keeps 50, and another guy catches 7 in 4 1/2 hours of fishing in the same area...seems odd.

to all these guys that claim to be slammin' 'em...what bait? what rig? what are ya drinkin'?

i'd hate to drive 2 hours based on BS.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Sounds like two different areas to me. The Raft is right around the corner from the DNR launch but the two areas are entirely different. The DNR launch opens out onto Anchor Bay and is wide open. The Raft area is actually pretty much enclosed by a sandbar that wraps around from shore to the little island. One to two feet deep with sort of a channel in front of the canal entrances.

And what do you mean by slammin'? Catching 150 little fish to keep a few is hardly slammin'. Practice maybe but not slammin'. Now if he said the smallest was 9" then that would be slammin'.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thats how it is on Fair Haven. Two days ago I nailed them, yesterday I caught maybe 10 little ones. Its Big Time hit or miss there usually.

Id say save the trip, the ice was getting real Iffy with the new snow and everything.

HAPPY NEWYEAR
Brian

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
i ment the restrant south of the launch not the bar yes i was at the faiheaven launch i tried every thing from minnows ,spikes,wigglers,and plastic they jus didnt like me yeterday

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On both fri afternoon and sat morning me and my buddy fished straight out in front of the restaurant in 5-7 fow. Used one rod with spring bobber and tear drop with a minnow and one ultra light witha spike with the smallest tear drop i have. 1/32 oz moon jig in chartruse with orange dot. Its by far tyhe most productive bait i use. The minnows seem to produce the bigger fish and lure fish in while they tend to hit the spike alot more. Avery sensitive rod and sensitive finger on the line is key. You must hold that rod in your hand or you wont catch numbers.
On fri afternoon we moved 6 times until we hit fish, but once we did we hit them hard.Startted just right of the launch and moved closer to the restaurant several times. Hit a little hole of 6-7 fow where we goot them on fri pm. Went back to the same spot on sat pm and hit em right away. Had 50 fish in 2 hours. Bite quit hard at 10 am. Moved 5 times with only a few more.
I cant tell you how many times me or someone else has caught 30 fish to the others 3 within 30 feet of eachother. Sometimes the hold in tight schools and you have to move to find them(alot). if they are there and feeding they will hit. Until i hit fish i will not spend more then 10 min in a spot. You can sit there a long time and lose prescious feeding time by waiting for fish. My best days of fishing have been 2 hours of moving and 1 hour of slamming fish.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Dude, who are you? Please fill in your profile. A pet peeve of many on this site.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Thanks for the report jiggin, We know what your saying. Some peoples kids.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
jiggineyes said:
On both fri afternoon and sat morning me and my buddy fished straight out in front of the restaurant in 5-7 fow. Used one rod with spring bobber and tear drop with a minnow and one ultra light witha spike with the smallest tear drop i have. 1/32 oz moon jig in chartruse with orange dot. Its by far tyhe most productive bait i use. The minnows seem to produce the bigger fish and lure fish in while they tend to hit the spike alot more. Avery sensitive rod and sensitive finger on the line is key. You must hold that rod in your hand or you wont catch numbers.
On fri afternoon we moved 6 times until we hit fish, but once we did we hit them hard.Startted just right of the launch and moved closer to the restaurant several times. Hit a little hole of 6-7 fow where we goot them on fri pm. Went back to the same spot on sat pm and hit em right away. Had 50 fish in 2 hours. Bite quit hard at 10 am. Moved 5 times with only a few more.
I cant tell you how many times me or someone else has caught 30 fish to the others 3 within 30 feet of eachother. Sometimes the hold in tight schools and you have to move to find them(alot). if they are there and feeding they will hit. Until i hit fish i will not spend more then 10 min in a spot. You can sit there a long time and lose prescious feeding time by waiting for fish. My best days of fishing have been 2 hours of moving and 1 hour of slamming fish.
i started out by the shanty that sunk im not sure if u can get 6-7ft of water now though

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry i didnt have my profile filled out. Just started using the site this summer and am not really familiar with it yet. Although i frequent the site, i have not familiarized myself with the site as well as i should have.
now you know who iam!:lol:

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only found about a 30-50 foot section of water that deep. It was right between the white house and restaurant and parallel to the small grass island. The rest was 4-5 fow

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
Have fun.....:lol:

Monday: Occasional rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Areas of fog. High around 37. East wind between 15 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
remember the spot i was talking about earlier with the deeper ditch and reeds where the perch sometimes come in. i believe he found it.if the ice ever firms up again we'll have to investigate.see, there are raft perch.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
salmonslammer said:
Have fun.....:lol:

Monday: Occasional rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Areas of fog. High around 37. East wind between 15 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
i changed my mind when it was a down poor at 3 am

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Caught a nice 10" perch in 2 ft of water straight out from the ramp at the Raft. Ming Ming saw it. We both had that astonished look on our faces. We figured it must have been lost, got dejected, and committed suicide on my hook.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fished from 8-12 a.m.in front of Buds & ended up with 15 keepers out of 150 or so. Ice was very iffy 3" max with soft spots between the chunks. The rain began to dump as we left. You won't see me back out there until it firms up. On the way in we saw a guy with a 7 ft rod maybe he was going to cast once it all blew out. Nobody in the canals at the Raft.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts