Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Paper
April 2020 trip for 2 days flats fishing around Sugarloaf Key cancelled.

June 2020 trip to Banff for my wife to run 1/2 marathon with a day of guided fishing for me cancelled.

January/February 2021 trip to Rio Gallegos to Spey fish for sea trout postponed one year. Was supposed to leave this winter wonderland behind for far southern South America’s middle of summer. Argentina is still closed to gringos. Grrrrr!

2022 in the books. Please!

I’ve posted this link before and I can’t wait to return. What’s another year, I guess...

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Keys are open. You could go down to Sugarloaf.

Probably not as prime as April, but given the right guide you should do well
Captain Shane Smith helped me get close enough to get my fly in front of these. We had a shot at a 40 lb tarpon but I got the fever and stepped on my 10 wt rod. Snap.

Then there was the time there was something grey right under the bow in 4 feet of water. “Is that a manatee?”

“Huge permit. Cast!”

Permit fever. Tripped and off it went.

Water Sky Cloud Smile Vertebrate
Water Glasses Sky Cloud Fisherman

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
book a flight to Yakutat and go steelhead fishing.
I think peak is early May. That would be awesome. My friend guides for www.akrainbow.com and he’s also pushing me to try late winter spey fishing for rainbows on the Kenai. Cooper Landing often can be warmer than MI in February. If it’s above freezing, flesh patterns in the low water work good.

·
Premium Member
18,924 Posts
I think peak is early May. That would be awesome. My friend guides for www.akrainbow.com and he’s also pushing me to try late winter spey fishing for rainbows on the Kenai. Cooper Landing often can be warmer than MI in February. If it’s above freezing, flesh patterns in the low water work good.
Id do the southeast the runs in Yakutat are in the 1000s, but the runs in the southeast chances are you'll be all by yourselves.

·
Super Moderator
23,406 Posts
Permit fever! Fought one for over 20 minutes in Lake Ingraham on my 6wt. Had him close enough to gaff twice. (too big for the net and we didn't want to kill it)

On the way home we stopped at the IFGA Museum where they had one on the wall. My buddy John said that mine was bigger! :banghead3 Didn't want to hear that!

Caught several small ones since. Those things are insane!

1 - 17 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.