Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts

Expressing thoughts and opinions;

It’s a total reversal of my idea for managing statewide for trophy bucks.

With the recent events of currant I believe we need to make serious statewide changes and we need to make them now.

Right now we are trying to react to this occurrence, if we don’t put a proactive plan in place we will always be reacting if and when it happens again, every time.

I feel we do not need a balanced 50 x 50 deer herd. How many bucks does it take to do the breeding? When there are a lot of bucks won’t they have to travel further to fulfill their desire to breed?

I would like the Natural Resources Commission and The MDNR discuss and consider managing for a healthy deer heard that generations long after we are gone could enjoy.

These are my suggestions;

1. Eliminate the point restriction on the second tag of the combo license.

2. Change the definition of a legal buck from one antler of at least 3 inches in length to a male deer with 4 antler points, anything less can be killed with an antlerless tag.

3. Make any and all male whitetail deer legal with the regular or combination license from button bucks on up.

4. Remove any and all Antler Point Restrictions that exist in the state.

5. Work with the legislator in passing a law that blocks county’s from adopting game laws outside of statewide NRC / MDNR created game laws.

6. Strongly increase the penalties for transporting game animals (live or dead) across state lines or illegally within the state with extremely heavy monetary fines, mandatory incarceration, and lifetime bans game and fishing licenses (zero tolerance).

7. Eliminate or tighten the screws on game farms. (Do what they did to smokers, regulate and tax them to the point where it just costs too much).

8. Work on better deer densities surveys from not only the county / township level but as close to the section level as possible, that should be conducted twice a year in both spring and fall. Enlist the help of sportsman’s clubs, land owners, collages, universities, and even high school science departments.

9. A heavy media campaign that would promote that real whitetail trophy is the legacy of leaving a smaller healthier deer herd for future generations.

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
These suggestions look sound, thoughtful, insightful & intelligent. I, too hope that the Natural Resources Commission & The MIDNR discuss and consider managing for a healthy deer heard that generations long after we are gone could enjoy.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
This is a wish list. #4 contradicts #2 and competes with#3. I vote for sound scientific herd management not wishes, feelings, thoughts, or opinions.

Thanks for sharing yours. Everyone has aright to be heard.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
#2 deals with the antlerless season.
And #3 should have said during the firearm season.
#4 deals with existing antler point restrictions.

But most of all I want a healthy herd long after I'm dead an gone.

(and I thought I was having a good day on this medication, guess not)

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Only a card-carrying SMART member would seek to abolish APRs while simultaneously proposing APRs of their own.

And managing deer down to the section level? Pure lunacy. :dizzy:

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
What's the point of the proactive plan that the DNR already had in place if we're going to make a knee jerk reaction after the fact?

Not sure why we should make a 180 degree change in thinking when we all knew this day was coming.

The DNR had a plan in place, I didn't hear a big uproar about that plan, so let's stick to what they proposed, unless a change is warranted, which apparently it isn't at this point.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The plan is a reaction plan (after the fact)
Think preventative so maybe our great great grandchildren maybe able to enjoy a healthy deer herd.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
What's the point of the proactive plan that the DNR already had in place if we're going to make a knee jerk reaction after the fact?

Not sure why we should make a 180 degree change in thinking when we all knew this day was coming.

The DNR had a plan in place, I didn't hear a big uproar about that plan, so let's stick to what they proposed, unless a change is warranted, which apparently it isn't at this point.
+1 to Bucko's thoughts.

There is a plan. WORK the PLAN. And measure the results. And then, after a reasonable amount of time, make adjustments necessary to improve the expected/desired results.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know that Leelanau Co is a long way from the East Lansing.
The State has a Reaction Plan for the disease and they have initiated it.
Would you rather keep on keeping on and then initiate the plan if and when ever comes to your neck of the woods?
Or also have a preventive plan in place to try to prevent it form showing up in the first place?
As seen in other places, Once you got it, you got it.

·
Premium Member
16,461 Posts
If we maintained a small herd we probably wouldnt need all the other stuff.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree
How many bucks do you need to do the breeding?
I believe I read that inside an infected area does and older male deer have a higher prevalence rate.
But male deer are the biggest culprit in expanding and spreading the disease to new locations.
Wouldn't you want to have a lower buck population?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Thoughts and opinions

New regulations statewide
In my order of importance:

1. Ban the use of minerals and salts to attract deer or other wildlife.
Stiff penalties including the encapsulation of any mineral sites.

2. Ban the sale of any mineral deer attractant. Mineral rocks, powers and liquids.

3. Ban the sale and possession of natural deer urine

4.Ban baiting in general

I do understand the importance mineral/salt blocks and tubs for captive livestock which are placed near water stations. But in free range wildlife they are of little value other than attractants and pose a serious potential for a prion pit .

The rest I'll leave to y'all

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thoughts and opinions

New regulations statewide
In my order of importance:

1. Ban the use of minerals and salts to attract deer or other wildlife.
Stiff penalties including the encapsulation of any mineral sites.

2. Ban the sale of any mineral deer attractant. Mineral rocks, powers and liquids.

3. Ban the sale and possession of natural deer urine

4.Ban baiting in general

I do understand the importance mineral/salt blocks and tubs for captive livestock which are placed near water stations. But in free range wildlife they are of little value other than attractants and pose a serious potential for a prion pit .

The rest I'll leave to y'all
Agree

Except for baiting, To valuable a tool for harvesting deer.
Change laws to a limit of 1/2 gallon over 200 square feet. And never in the same location consecutively.

Increase penalty to mandatory 3 year loss of privileges and stiff fine for first offence.
Incarceration, 5 year loss of privileges and double fine for second offence.
Lifetime loss of privileges incarceration and real heavy fine for third and beyond.

And with prions in the ground being able to come back to the surface inside of plants, strongly recommend not growing foodplots in an area known for disease, and never in the same location for consecutive years in all other areas.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Agree

Except for baiting, To valuable a tool for harvesting deer.
Change laws to a limit of 1/2 gallon over 200 square feet. And never in the same location consecutively.

Increase penalty to mandatory 3 year loss of privileges and stiff fine for first offence.
Incarceration, 5 year loss of privileges and double fine for second offence.
Lifetime loss of privileges incarceration and real heavy fine for third and beyond.

And with prions in the ground being able to come back to the surface inside of plants, strongly recommend not growing foodplots in an area known for disease, and never in the same location for consecutive years in all other areas.

I could agree with those baiting rules and penalties
but
be pretty hard to move a acre clover patch yearly

For the record I don't built food plots but I can understand the pros and cons. I carry an open mind concerning food plots. Hard to define "A food Plot"

·
Premium Member
4,926 Posts
I don't think eradicating the deer herd is the answer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts