Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not called up the CBP folks yet. Figured I start here first.

- Is one export permit only good for one bear or can two bears go on one export permit?

- If you bring back a tagged, whole bear (meat, skull and hide) from Ontario, do you even need an export permit? Does the bear tag on the whole bear take the place of the export permit?

- How about the other provinces?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Having brought back bears from Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec, each time the outfitters would fill out a paper with info about the bear. Your tag is not sufficient. When I declared them at the border the U.S. Agents would look it over and check your passport, etc. Only time they checked a bear was coming back from Manitoba and that was a federal game agent, not custom official. Not sure if it matters if the bear is whole. I always had them processed when crossing border. One thing you want to do is make sure the tag on the bear is plainly visible when they open the cooler. Canada officials will not search around a frozen hide looking for tag, they will just take it. Also make sure the bear is tagged per the law. Do not remove it beforehand.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I had mine turned into a rug in Manitoba it needed an export permit. When I brought back my whole one from Ontario a couple of years ago, the outfitter harvested a tooth and did the white harvest form. I was told I could do that from the states and mail it back to the MNR. I did buy an export permit for that one though. I was hearing something today regarding a different province requiring only the tag, no export permit needed if the bear is brought back whole. (no taxi work)

·
Trophy Husband
2,948 Posts
TVC, Having just gone through this I can tell you what we did. We purchased one export permit per bear. We declared the bears at the US border, (4 total) and were asked for our export permits. We each filled out a form, (it may have been a CITES from? I don't remember exactly) CBP recorded the information from the export permit on it. This was for Ontario. I don't think it matters if the bear is whole or in pieces. The tag does not take the place of the export permit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts