Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,770 Posts
I bet that glue they use is explosive as H$$$. I am glad that all is safe and they got it out as fast as they did

·
Super Moderator
35,073 Posts
Could be the glue or the source of the hear for the dryer but most likely it was the fine wood dust being ignited by an ignition source. It's a serious issue for any wood working shop.
Yep.

I think the glue is isocyanate based and not really an explosion hazard. The fuel the dryer may use or the dusty environment are far more likely.

·
Premium Member
14,856 Posts
Particleboard plant exploded in Canada like 30 years ago. Killed two and blew up about 10,000sq ft of the plant. Was caused by a spark in the ductwork. I guess that stuff blows up like gasoline.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
We hardly touch any wood where I work but OSHA requires us to be knowledgeable on the subject. That fact alone let's me know it must be dangerous.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Dust is a big issue. During the midnight shift we had people getting in lifts and using air wands to blow dust off beams or any other flat surfaces to minimize the explosion potential. When you have an explosion it's not the first one that is large. The first one knocks all the dust off and gets it airborne and if there's an ignition source, the secondary explosion is the big one. I believe that's what happened at the GP plant in Gaylord years ago. I'd be interested to know if this occurred in an outside piece of equipment or inside a building.

·
Super Moderator
35,073 Posts
Dust is a big issue. During the midnight shift we had people getting in lifts and using air wands to blow dust off beams or any other flat surfaces to minimize the explosion potential. When you have an explosion it's not the first one that is large. The first one knocks all the dust off and gets it airborne and if there's an ignition source, the secondary explosion is the big one. I believe that's what happened at the GP plant in Gaylord years ago. I'd be interested to know if this occurred in an outside piece of equipment or inside a building.
Yep. I think rule of thumb is 1/16th of an inch thick layer is cause for concern.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's been a few years since I've been in that industry but I think you're correct. We were anal about fire protection systems. Worst fire we had was a contracter's payloader that caught fire. They transported all of the wood waste we didn't use. Hydraulic hose sprung a leak onto a hot muffler. The guy got it out with a fire extinguisher but it reignited. I can still visualize that scene. Fire department came and put the fire out.

·
Premium Member
30,254 Posts
The plant has only been open since last April, ARAUCO's first in the U.S.

Reactions: sureshot006
1 - 20 of 35 Posts