Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been real busy with school so this afternoon was the 1st time I could shoot my muzzleloader. 1st shot was off but I knew I flinched so I loaded up a second round and was having trouble getting the cap on the nipple. Second shot I held tight and when the gun went off the nipple exploded and blew all kinds of pieces in my face. Luckily I wasn't hurt but have never had anything like this happen before. I shoot a side lock TC renegade and after the shot the side lock was blown back to the locking position like it was ready to fire again. Went to the local sporting good store to get another nipple for the gun and told the guy behind the counter what had happened. He said earlier that day a guy stopped in that had problems getting his no.11 caps to fit on his nipple and when they looked closer the nipple looked frayed and cracked. He bought a new nipple and it worked fine after that. We figured that this is what happened to my gun. Anyone else heard of this happening before?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I'm a prevert so I just had to open it, kind of like a train wreck. Frayed and cracked nipples oh my, need to lube them up. :D Les

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yeah I thought I would just take a peek with that title. Darn was not what I was looking for. Oh I have no idea what the problem might be.:evil:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank god, I thought my wife somehow found out about this website...We have a 6 month old so I thought it might be her posting...:lol:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I looked at the title and my first thought was "Gawd, that must be painful!" :D

LOL I thought back to a "show" I saw in Tijuana once, :yikes:

LOL

J-

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Hey Pipedream that's exactly what this thread is if you thought you would get a anwser to your question with that title. :lol:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
OK I'll try to spit ball a answer for you. 1) Bad/weak nipple from either corrosion or just bad from the start. 2) stronger than usual caps 3) too much powder load in the gun. 4) some kind of obstruction in the barrel causing too much pressure.

#1 would be my guess though.

Hope this helps

J-

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Yeah well ........I had to look too.:evil:

Corrosion would be my best guess. If the caps fit the new nipple..............never mind I ain't going there.:16suspect

·
Registered
926 Posts
Google for pics of Wendy O'Williams of the Plasmatics (old school punk band) she had the same problem, so she wore electrical tape over them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts