Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably a long shot, but has anyone here ever purchased anything from smalloutboards.com, aka A.F.A. Marine?

How was your experience with them?

I'm a bit leary of buying a used outboard that I haven't seen.

Thanks,
Crawfish

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
No never delt with them and I would be a it leery about buying an outboard without looking at it first,,someone's idea of good condition may be different than yours

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess nobody has dealt with them.

What I'm interested in are the 30 hp Johnson jet outboards that were made for the military. They have around 100-300 hours on them, and the U.S. military typically maintains equipment very well. They are not a jet pump unit, but actually more like a jet turbine.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I see you can get an extra lower unit for $175 but how much do they want for the motors?
from the pics they pretty clean but I am sure they are showing the cream of the crop

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$995 for the motor. The price is listed on the main page (http://www.smalloutboards.com )

The guy says the pics are representative of all of them. That's a pretty neat lower unit, eh?

If I decide to get one, I'll post here how it goes. If I decide to do it, I would first have to convince the CEO. One would think the CFO would be able to make all procurement decisions, but as you know it's sometimes best to get the approval of the CEO so the CFO doesn't get a boot ITA.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
let us now how it works out,,,do you know if they would sell just a lower unit? I would kind of like to play with one

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
thats kinda what I was woundering,,,,I wounder how one would work for a swamp motor

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
They look like it might be a good motor for the handliners, won't have to worry about getting tangled in the motor.
It looks just like a prop drive, only a couple minor changes, no large pitch like a prop, but more blades to move a larger volume of water.
Like it says, the intake is larger than the output end, thus increasing the force of the flow.
Just wonder what the top end speed would be in comparison to a prop job.

·
Registered
324 Posts
In the saginaw bay water systems I would be concerned with branches...I think the gaps are too big personally...I don't know I wonder where the manufacter uses them?

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Lol Coverdog:D I may just do that if they have some left after spring
I am sure they are at least a few mph slower than a prop but I would like to see for myself

·
Registered
395 Posts
well they have had them on there web page a longgg! time if they were a great motor like they say then. one the U.S. Gro. would still be using them and, two the lower unit is not made by OMC it made up form omc castings and weidments added. so it's probably a poor performer so the price is the only thing i see going for it. K8vol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts