Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nov 11-07 The coolest hunt I have ever had!

I was awakened by the alarm clock at 5:30 Sunday morning. I turned the TV on and checked the local weather. 35 warming to 50 with light rain showers. Flipped the channel over to Versus and watched these guys pass on Whitetail Bucks bigger than anything I have ever seen. I watched the TV for a few more minutes as I finished my breakfast of donuts and RC Cola. Time to go Huntin!
I went out to the Pole Barn to get my gear on. As i get dressed I am spraying myself with sent eliminator. Now I am camo-up sent free and ready for the woods. It only takes a few minutes to get to the ladder stand. I am in the stand about 6:10 , 45 minutes before first light. I spent the next 3 hours sitting in this stand with the rain sleet mix numbing my hands and face. I never seen a thing not a doe fawn, button buck nothing. Very frustrated I decided to head to another spot we call Hambuger Hill.
On the way to the Hamburger Hill I noticed that the wind was in my favor and the ground was quiet due to the rain. I had the perfect opertunity to stalk the corn feeder we have set up. As I came around the corner I seen five Doe eating corn from the feeder. I am about 60 yards away and need to get to about 25 yards for good shot with my bow. I slowly make my way toward the deer. I am now 30 yards away another 10 yards and I will have a shot. The Doe are still eating and havent seen me yet. Just another few yards .... I start to pull my bow back when I hear something of my right shoulder. A Doe bedded down in the brush about ten feet from me....well now all the Doe are gone. Man was I close to stalking up and arrowing a Doe!!Oh well time to get to the Hill.
I get to Hambuger Hill and check the time almost 10:00, its getting late and I have things to get done today. Lets get aggressive!! I start rattling antlers together, loud, kicking and raking the brush next to me ... doing my best to sound like two bucks fighting. I do this for about 2 minutes. When I stop I set the antlers down and pick up my bow. As I did this I hear tree branches breaking and thrashing going on over to my left in the thicket. I stand there watching the saplings and brush shake as a Buck thrashes every thing in its way....and he's coming right toward me. My mind is racing as this Buck continues to thrash every shrub and bush in his way. Then I hear deer running through the thicket, branches breaking and cracking. The Buck pushed five Doe out. The Doe come running down the trail just below Hamburger Hill. Leaping over a fallen tree and then jumping the creek. The Doe were in such a hurry one Doe didnt time her jump just right and landed in the middle of the creek, face first. The Doe then disapeared into the pines.
I then look back over to my left toward the thicket, just as the Buck steps out and starts down the same trail the Doe took. The Buck is BIG his antlers wide and tall. I have the bow ready arrow nocked. The Buck heads down the trail ducks under the fallen tree...just behind some brush. I draw my bow back find my anchor point. He hasnt seen me. Now the Buck is right in front of me....I grunt...he dosnt stop...I grunt again....he dosnt stop...one more grunt nothing. He keeps moving right down the trail to the open field. He stops there and looks around looking for the challenger. He then turns and comes back down the same trail coming right for me again. Another chance! I draw my bow back again...he hasnt seen me. Right in front of me. I grunt he dosnt stop..again I grunt and again. He never stops back into the thicket he goes. He proceeds to thrash every bush in sight grunting and snorting. Just then he pushes another deer out its a Buck this time. Not quite as big but still a good Buck. He is coming down the same trail, under the fallen tree... I draw back... he didnt see me... I grunt he donst stop. Three time I grunt at this Buck and he never stops. Across the creek he goes and into the pines.
I never let an arrow fly that day. Even without making a kill this is a hunt to remember. I successfully stalked a Doe within range of a bow. I rattled a Buck out of his bed. I drew my bow back three times on two Bucks. This all happend so fast, from the time I started rattling to the time all the deer were gone was maybe a minute.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like a great hunt there. You don't have to grunt to stop a buck, just yell at them. They will stop and look. At least it has always worked for me. Hope you have a great year this year.

·
Registered
579 Posts
We are only a month away!! Great story thanks for sharing....that's the kinda day that keeps us coming back year after year :D

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
I'm starting to get the shakes. As much as I want the summer to drag on just alittle bit longer, I hope September goes fast. Cant wait for 10-01-08. Good times a head.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yep, sometimes the hunts where you don't kill anything are the most exciting! Nov 11 last year was a super exciting hunt for me too. This was the day the clocks changed so you had an extra hour in the evening. Around 5 I saw a deer cross an opening. It took awhile but the forrk horn came my way. It was out of range and although I stopped it with a doe bleat a couple times it didn't come into range. Then a larger buck stepped out, following the same trail as the first. I bleated and it stopped but never came my way. Did this a couple times. Then I remembered my grunt. Stopped him with the first grunt. After the second grunt he looked PO'd and started coming my way. The arrow was nocked. He was 18 yards out and my watch alarm went off! It was 5:30 but I had screwed up the AM/PM thing when I reset my watch for the time change - I couldn't believe it. He was looking so intently for the rival that he didn't even seem to notice the beeping! He took a couple more steps and I sent an arrow right through his heart. I think there's a pic in my gallery. Hallowee thru Nov 14 is a GREAT time to bow hunt. Can't wait for this year!

Good luck,
John-Ypsi

·
Premium Member
31,084 Posts
WHATS THIS GOT TO DO WITH CWD?:rolleyes::D:lol:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys for taking the time to read all that. I didn't realize it was so long until I posted it. Oh and I spelled exciting wrong in the title. OOPS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts