Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of talk about which round you should use for coyotes. Has anyone ever used the excelerator rounds? I can only believe that these rounds chambered in either 30-30 or 30.06 would be bad medicine on the yotes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have some of these, are you talking about the 30-06 with a sabboted 40 grain bullet ? I think the guy I bought them from said that the round travels at around 3400 ft. per second.
I have not shot any coyote with this round but I did buy them for coyote hunting durring daylight hours.
also a friend of mine I believe purchased like a thousand of the sabbots for reloading this round.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking at an old box of 30-30 rounds, I realised that it is spelled Accelerator. Now talking with the fella at work he told me once that these types of rounds have or will be outlawed for the reason that they are ballistically impossible to trace (because of the sabot) in the event they are used during a crime. Now I havnt seen a box on the shelf for a few years and I purchased my ammo years ago so I dont know if it is still available.
However at 3400 fps...that'd put the insides on the the outside

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought a box two years ago from a sport shop and my buddy told me they were illegal because they could not be traced.
seems like a sabboted 12 ga. slug would not be traceable then or could it??

·
Registered
65 Posts
They are still available for the 30-30 and 30-06. $21.65 for the 30-06 and $18.60 for the 30-30 at Midway USA. If they were going to make them illegal because of the sabots then they would have to do the same thing to the inline muzzleloaders and shotgun sabots. l don't think you see them much in stores because they never were in very high demand. Most hunters that are serious about varmit hunting use calibers that are designed for that type of game. Gives us all an excuse to buy another gun:D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If you're interested in reloading .30 Cal www.ammodepot.com sells the sabots for $6.48/100 with data. Fiddled with them a few years ago, waste of time, accuracy wise. I'll stick with my Swift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts