Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Ever shot Muzzy 100 grain crossbow heads?

2217 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Lakreye
Used to always shoot muzzy heads with my compound but went to mechanicals with the crossbow. Saw some muzzy 100 grain crossbow heads and was considering trying them but at nearly $40 a pack wanted to see if anyone has tried them first. I know they are a lethal head but how do they fly? Thanks in advance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
My experience with two deer was they fly exact to field point and very tough but absolute no blood trail...bro-in-law shot one this year, quartering to and exited near back leg...again absolutely no blood trail...tiny drops every 20-30 yards...blood trail was my only complaint
Reactions: Quack Addict
Found 2 dozen heads and blades at a yard sale a few years back and use em for practice ( they fly the same as the G-5's i use). Not a fan of replaceable blades and cutting diameter is a little small for deer, thought about using them for turkey but i love my mini- snuffers. If you want a couple PM me and you can have em.
Similar experiences here. They fly great but not so good blood trails. Even with a heart shot last fall. He made it about 50 yards, watched him drop but almost no blood between Point A and Point B.

I got a deal on a bunch of Rage Hypodermics and plan to try those this fall.
My experience with two deer was they fly exact to field point and very tough but absolute no blood trail...bro-in-law shot one this year, quartering to and exited near back leg...again absolutely no blood trail...tiny drops every 20-30 yards...blood trail was my only complaint
Reactions: YAKFish#1
I've killed a few deer with them that dropped in sight but very little blood trail. They fly straight for sure but I prefer a bigger hole in and out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
What are you using out of your crossbow
I've killed a few deer with them that dropped in sight but very little blood trail. They fly straight for sure but I prefer a bigger hole in and out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Out of my Matrix 355 I'm using bolt cutters and out of my Parker Hornet 100 gr Thunderheads. My daughter is using regular 100 gr 3 blade muzzys.
What are you using out of your crossbow
Reactions: TrailMarker
Last year I shot some excess fixed blades with small cutting diameter and they flew well, but these were with an older PSE crossbow. This year, I upgraded to a ravin, but I am hearing that they recommend a mechanical, and that was not music to my ears.
Out of my Matrix 355 I'm using bolt cutters and out of my Parker Hornet 100 gr Thunderheads. My daughter is using regular 100 gr 3 blade muzzys.
I've heard good things about using Slick tricks and how good they fly and cutting a good size hole but I don't have first hand knowledge of it. I believe the speed from a Raven might be an issue with fixed heads??
Last year I shot some excess fixed blades with small cutting diameter and they flew well, but these were with an older PSE crossbow. This year, I upgraded to a ravin, but I am hearing that they recommend a mechanical, and that was not music to my ears.
There was a video online with the Ravin 26 shooting 398 FPS, what speed is everyone guessing the fixed blades get inconsistent? 300? 325? 350?
I shoot a Ten Point Nitro X..very fast Believe it or not I still shoot 150gran Thunderheads..They fly perfect, just shot my third this year, one close and 2 at 35-30yrds
I've always used 4 blade muzzy's(20+years).
They fly good out of our TP Siege(410fps). Sometimes the blood trail is spotty, other times it's impressive. You have to knock the heart an lungs out, no matter what you use.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.