Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis has nothing to do with hunting of geese, but rather an icedent that I've never seen one do.

A couple of years ago, I was walking a nature trail around a nearby lake with a date and saw something I've never before seen. In one of the little bays, there were about a dozen Canadian Geese. I watched a couple of them start to dive under the surface...completely submerged and come back up. I've seen a lot of things in nature, but that was a first.

Is this something that is common with Canadians or was it irregular?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I've seen it a couple times when chasing cripples. Does look funny though, a bird that big going completely under.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is my first post but I had to reply. I worked at a summer camp on long lake, in cloverdale and watched geese actually go head first under water and flip onto their back then kind of roll back upright. This wasn,t one goofy goose but several in the flock were doing this. :dizzy:

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
i've nabbed many cripples over the years that were diving and swimming very skillfully under water. Usually late in season when the big fields down here have alot of water in them.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have watched crippled geese actually swim under water for a great span.
It looks as if there flying under water! Weird.......

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
algonquin dave said:
This is my first post but I had to reply. I worked at a summer camp on long lake, in cloverdale and watched geese actually go head first under water and flip onto their back then kind of roll back upright. This wasn,t one goofy goose but several in the flock were doing this. :dizzy:
Welcome to the site, Dave.......my family used to have a cottage on long lake cloverdale......did a lot of fishin and "cruisin" as a teenager!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I watched geese do this all season just out from my house on the water. They appear to be trying to clean themselves???? It was neat to watch.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Yup, I've seen it.

Ever see one "play dead"?

I shot a goose one year, that landed in the marsh. The dog and I went lookin' for it, found it, I wrung its neck a few times to "kill it". I walked back to the boat, got about 10 feet from the boat and decided to just chuck it in the boat from there, well it never hit the boat. As I threw it, this thing came back to life and started FLYING!! There started my 45 minute FIASCO around the lake, this goose was diving, biting the dog, you name it. When I finally caught, this thing would STILL NOT DIE. I ended up having to put a shot of BB in its head from about 5 feet. That was one of the craziest things I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
algonquin dave said:
It's pretty common behavior. It's funny to watch a flock of younger birds get going, they almost look like seals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts