Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a bow hunters nightmare..wall hanger comes in tonight and I hit him smack dab in the shoulder...about 2 inches of arrow went in broke broadhead off inside of him...I feel like H#LL:(! So I've been reading alot and it sounds like a majority of these deer live from this kind of shot. Just wondering if any of you have ever had this happen and if you ever got a second chance at the deer. Will he move to a different area or do you think he might show himself again?

·
Registered
531 Posts
You "shouldered" him, hit right on the bone. I know I have done it and had a buddy do it and I killed the buck 2 weeks later, only so he could get his property back, his broadhead broke off too. The buck I killed was on the same 80.

You have a chance but if hes a big one I doubt you will ever see him again, but who knows, he could get on a hot doe and end up where ever.

It sucks but happens, he will live, bet he chasin does right now.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Two years ago I shot a big 8 pt. that had an arrow pass through wound right through the front of his backstraps. It was from about 3 weeks prior and was full of pus but had already begun to heal. I took this buck on the second day of gun season while he was chasing a hot doe...........now here's the kicker, he had also been gut shot on opening day by a neighbor and was still chasing a doe!!!!!!!! Tough animals.

·
Registered
602 Posts
He'll probably bed in some thick and nasty cover and stay hidden for a while, but on a side note be careful late season anterless hunting, there's a good chance he'll drop his headgear early due to the injury. Best advice is get back on the horse as soon as possible, no better way burn that one in than to get back out there and keep at it. You live and learn right. Good luck the rest of the season, and remember it happens.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I hit a 7 point like that the first week of Nov. about 3 or 4 inches of arrow left in him. I jumped him the next morning while tracking and couldn't get another shot at him. I saw him around the 20th chasing does around noon. I was in the car and he ran in front of me and stopped on the road to give me another look on what could have been. He was healed up and had a slight limp, but was not having any trouble getting around. Yours should make it just fine and don't be surprised if you see him again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts