Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so what has happen??:yikes:. Last year I was shooting my ten point. Right in the middle of shooting I get a cell phone call. While trying to talk and work out some issues I got side tracked. When I got ready to shoot again I didn't load a arrow. Thanks a bunch to ten point and their anti dry fire system or I could have been a hurting dog:D

Since then I have a mental checklist that I go through before I ever cock the crossbow. That was scary enough........m:D

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Sign in the sport sport near me...........YOU DRY FIRE ANY CROSSBOW ON DISPLAY AND YOU'VE BOUGHT IT............plus possible medical bills...:yikes:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Not personally, but was there when someone didn't 'seat' the arrow/bolt all the way back before releasing. It made a louder than usual noise upon release, and the arrow/bolt went 'pffffttt' -- bout 8 feet and fell on the ground. Does that fit the definition of a dry fire? Was concerned about the safety issue but the next time he fired it seemed to be ok. What possibe damage could have been done? (Horton crossbow).
~m~

·
Registered
198 Posts
My buddy was shooting his Barnett crossbow and somehow accidentally dry-fired it. It came apart in several pieces. He had to take it to an archery shop to reassemble. It did not injure him, but it easily could have.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Any bow can be dangerous whether mishandled or not. A fellow hunter in our camp who practices the entire year was using his compound on our range to see if the sights had moved during his trip up. The bow literally exploded in his hands as the arrow left. He was seriously hurt but recovered well. The store and manufacturer said he had used it too much and it had wore out. I had never heard such nonsense as it was the limbs that broke and not the string or wheels. ANY bow can cause injury and must be used with great caution and should be checked for safety and maintenance every year or more often if a person shoots in a league or competition. No one wants to be hurt on a hunt that has been looked forward to for many months.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Dry fire your compound....would you call that "Dangerous" ?:evil:
I've never done it, there seems to be lots of people that have dry fired their crossbow though, which seems very dangerous. I wouldn't want kids to get hurt.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've seen Excalibur x-bows(our camp) dry fired 4 or 5 times......beer may have been a factor....and they survived to shoot accurately again.These were 200# and 225# draw weapons and they get your attention when they go off dry,to be sure.:dizzy:

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I dry fired my Darton 55lb bow one time. The arrow nock had slipped off of the string while practicing and I did not notice it. Besides taking a little hide from my arm and scaring me into next year all was fine. I learned the hard way to make sure my nocks fit well and are on securely. It would have been especially humiliating if I had done it pulling back on a deer.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I've had the misfortune to wittness a couple of compounds blow up back in the 70's(1 Darton & 1 Browning) and boy would I hate to be in the area of a crossbow that had catastrofic failure...I've never dry fired any bow and never will....

·
Registered
18 Posts
with an Excal. No damage to the limbs. I would NOT do that with any compound crossbow. Crossbows are also more dangerous if mishandled due to their heavier draw weights. Automatic safeties are a definite plus. Bowtech Strykers and Ten Point crossbows have good auto safeties. Excal has no auto safety which I think they should correct. If you cock their crossbows and forget to push the safety off.............. you could potentially get hurt (hands and fingers).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts