Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever do anything like this? My buddy called me up one day after work and said hey lets go fishing of course I said ok. So we went and when I got home and had couple of Coho's. I cleaned them on the kitchen counter in my apartment. After I cleaned them I wraped them in news paper and left them on the counter and went to sleep I figured I'd walk them to the dumpster before I left for work in the morning. Well I forgot. So that day while at work I talked to my buddy again and he said lets go fishing after work. I ended up going and we stayed all weekend. I got home sunday night it was 85 Digrees in my apartment and smelled like there was a dead body. I could smell it in the hallway before I got in. I'm surprised my neighbors didnt call my land lady or the cops. Took me two weeks to get the smell out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
UHG! Youre one of those neighbors! When I lived in an apartment it always smelled terrible cause of the Indian food cooking above me and Mexican food next to me. Probably smelled very similar to a few day old salmon carcass. I dont miss those days at all.

·
Registered
522 Posts
YEP sure did. Except I ground some scrap venison from cutting up deer in the garbage disposal went to california for a week and it was like road kill in july in my house.:dizzy:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Too funny!!!:lol: :lol:

I cleaned someteen fish at home instead of the cleaning station one July. I put them all in the can and left it in the back yard with a lid on. By the end of the next day, a black ooze was coming out and had maggets. In fact, our dog (in my avatar) rolled in it. Yuck. Tuesday comes, we're one day away from trash pickup, and my elderly neighbor calls. She says she thinks her propane tank is leaking on her grill. I went over there and was sure she had something going on. After looking around for a few minutes, I realized that we were smelling the can from way out in the back yard. Later that day another neighbor came over to see if we had been smelling something funny lately.:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Went down south to Miss. & La. to visit some family & friends and on the way through Biloxi I stopped and picked up 20lbs of shrimp and some live crabs for dinner that evening. Well the cooler was in the van and the crabs & shrimp iced down good for the day so I proceeded to my friends for the visit. Later that day I was to pick my dad up at the Airport in New Orleans so after visiting for a considerable time we left and headed N. O. by mid afternoon. The Van had been sitting in the hot sun and it gets pretty warm down there as it was July. (let me mention now that the wife was 7 mos. pregnant with our youngest) So off we go to N.O. to pick up my dad. Along the way, driving the coast (Hwy 90) my wife coments on the beach and the smell of the ocean, though it was uncomfortably warm for her not being used to the humidity she seems pleased and to be having fun on or short vacation.

As we get on to I-10 and head into La. I mention that ocean breeze again and how the air is just so different out here.

Getting into N. O. we pass over the Harvey Canal Bridge and theres that OCEAN BREEZE AGAIN. :confused: It struck me as odd but with concentrating on the traffic and all I paid it no mind. I arrive at the airport pick up my dad and off we go. Along the way my dad comments on a fish smell and we told him we picked up shrimp & crabs to boil for dinner. He looks back and informs me that maybe i should have put the plug in the cooler as I had water dripping all over the back of the van...:yikes:

I stopped at a car wash after dropping them off at home and did everything. Sprayed down the carpet with the power washer, vacumed up all the sudsy water, perfumed, deoderized, Febreezed you name it nothing worked. Next day the prego wife had to go to the store and it was so bad she couldn't hold her lunch. it was off to the side of the road every 1/2 hour. I sold that van here in Michigan that following winter...:lol:

Yep..... I know that smell well....

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I was mowing the lot out behind my house. This was aprox. 50x50yd lot. I was riding along on the mover when all of the sudden there was a thud and the mover died out. I didn't know what I hit all I knew was it was the most horrific smell I had ever smelled. apparently a skunk had died in that lot recently and I was the lucky guy to find it's bloating corpse. The smell wreaked for blocks around, no kidding!! I smelled that obnoxious oder for days. I bathed like 4 times that night. used cologn and my wife would just look at me and bust out laughing.:mad:

·
Registered
271 Posts
These stories are one of the few good things about winter. Without all this free time on our hands we would never get these good stories :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I live trapped a skunk that was living uder the deck. In the morning I popped him with the pellet gun right in the grey matter of corse it sprayed. I had to go to work it got to 90 deg and a light rain in the morning with hot sun in the afternoon. Man that was nasty to clean up that night thought I was going to barf a few times.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
( 1 ) worms in fridge...( 2 ) fish in the fridge...( 3 ) dead possum,groundhog,and skunk under the jacuzzi room...( 4 ) mouse behind fridge..several times...( 5 ) squirrel under boiler....all these dead...smelly creatures one time or another in the past 18 years......AHHHH!!! the country life.....a breath of fresh air...wish I had a horse barn next door for some sweet smellin odors..:eek:ne_eye: :eek:ne_eye:

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
( 1 ) worms in fridge...( 2 ) fish in the fridge...( 3 ) dead possum,groundhog,and skunk under the jacuzzi room...( 4 ) mouse behind fridge..several times...( 5 ) squirrel under boiler....all these dead...smelly creatures one time or another in the past 18 years......AHHHH!!! the country life.....a breath of fresh air...wish I had a horse barn next door for some sweet smellin odors..:eek:ne_eye: :eek:ne_eye:

MERRY CHRISTMAS

·
Registered
544 Posts
When I was a kid I used to have 2 cars. One was my daily driver. It looked good and I could pick up girls. The other was my "fishing car". One weekend the chinook were just starting to run. It was very early in August. I only got one in the river that day. I forgot that the fish was in the trunk in a plastic bag. The next weekend when I went fishing again, I opened the door to the car, only to find hundreds of dead flies in the back window. It suddendly occured to me what had happened. No harm though, the fish was in a plastic bag. The smell went away quickly.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had two co workers that couldnt get along. Both drove truck. One really pissed off the other and to get revenge, he bought a dozen night crawlers and put them in the flare box in his cab. After two weeks it reeked in there and the guy tried hanging air freshners and anything he could think of to fight the smell. Took 3 weeks before he finally looked into the flare box. Boy did that stink!!

Wayne

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have a house out on Kellys Island. I had always buried my fish remains in the one back corner of my yard near some trees. After spending a week there in July (and doing real well on the perch all week), I left only to return the next weekend to a pretty upset neighbor :rant: . Turned out that the local raccon herd discovered where the perch cemetary was at and had spent the days I wasn't there exhuming the corpses :yikes: . Anyway, it stuck like he!!. I apologized profusely to my neighbor and cleaned up the mess.

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,562 Posts
:lol:

Ask Caz about the fish left in his livewell from the summer all winter. Found it in the spring.:yikes:

This summer I filled my cooler with ice and fillets to hand out. I managed to give them all away except one bag that sat in the heat for 9 days before my wife opened the cooler to use it.:sick: Talk about dead body stank. My wife threw threw the cooler out, I pulled it, bleached it, cleaned it, and it still stank to high heaven. I now have a new fish cooler.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
STEINFISHSKI said:
:lol:

Ask Caz about the fish left in his livewell from the summer all winter. Found it in the spring.:yikes:
That's the first thing I thought of too, Tim. :)

I learned the hard way that decaying fish oils can and do seep through plastic garbage bags, after leaving one filled with salmon offal in the trunk of my wife's car once. Jeez, was she pi$$ed. That odor does not go away immediately, either.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Man, some of you guys have to take care of on how mant barley pops you all are having :lol: . Or its allsheimer kicking in at an early age :D

·
Registered
467 Posts
I did it this summer too. :bash: I took my mom and dad out for some fishing and when we got back the station was closed so just cleaned the fish at home. Then my wife who was 9 months pregnant at the time was making dinner, WASwell you know the rest of the story accept the part about putting the five gallon pail full of guts in my work van for the dumpster the next morning. That boy sure did pick a beautiful hot June summer day to be born. Needless to say I didnt know fly crap is nearly as hard to get off as overspray and the flies that mass exited when the doors came open was like a plague. I had to burn incense in the van for 2 days after I cleaned it out twice and no I dont smoke. It was like something that I never want to smell again.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
but I might trade 'em for the 40 acres of liquid dairy waste that just got sprayed next door! At least I know I'd only make those mistakes once every few years, this is 2X a year! UGH! That's another downside to living too far from the water!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts