Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1st gill over 10”!! Have caught several near 9” or just over but nothing close to this one I landed today, impressive fish once u see one up close. U don’t see them everyday when ur out gill fishing. Ice is holding up but shore ice going quickly. Am guessing these hard to come by, but have others landed any over 10” also? Good luck to all!!

Attachments

· Banned
3,866 Posts
We usually catch a dozen or so a year that are 10" or larger.

The wife caught a 12 1/2" gill last year.

· Registered
495 Posts
Congrats on the 10. I caught many that I thought were over 10 but the ruler doesn’t lie and they were a 1/4 to 1/2 inch short. I generally fish in SW part of MI- I don’t think they even exist in the vast majority of public lakes around here. Have a friend who goes up north in MI and WI and catches them pretty regular at least from the pics he shows me! Never seen one in person though. If I could catch a couple, i would mount for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

· Premium Member
12,453 Posts
Congrats on the 10. I caught many that I thought were over 10 but the ruler doesn’t lie and they were a 1/4 to 1/2 inch short. I generally fish in SW part of MI- I don’t think they even exist in the vast majority of public lakes around here. Have a friend who goes up north in MI and WI and catches them pretty regular at least from the pics he shows me! Never seen one in person though. If I could catch a couple, i would mount for sure.

Real nice fish. I have caught a few over the years in Allegan county. My biggest one was 11 1/2 inches came from a lake in the Wayland area. I catch several a year up here but not on a regular basis. Do a search on this site as there was a discussion about them last summer.

· Registered
2,117 Posts
My 1st gill over 10”!....have others landed any over 10” also?
Congrats on your first 10-incher! Always cool to set a new personal record. no matter what youre pursuing.

I've been fishing Michigan for around 45 years. In my experience, gills this size are pretty rare in most public waters, but only because of fishing pressure. So if thats where you caught it, you definetely have a trophy. On the other hand, theyre pretty common on water bodies that dont get overfished, for whatever reason.

I'm not much of a bluegill fisherman, might cast ultralight jigs in warm water a half-dozen times each summer and I never target gills in winter. Still, I've caught 9 of them over 10-inches, in the past 6 months, in public water. Actually 5 of them in one shot, with many 8's and 9's in the mix that day, also. I got into a school of jumbos through the ice a couple weeks ago too- released a bunch that were in the 8-9 inch range and two of them were over 10". My point being that they arent rare in waters that arent overfished. I only kept six gills for a dinner and released the other ~50, many of which were in the 9-inch range. Thats how good fishing is maintained.

Heres a couple pics, I have alot more....

-NC

Attachments

· Registered
261 Posts
My 1st gill over 10”!! Have caught several near 9” or just over but nothing close to this one I landed today, impressive fish once u see one up close. U don’t see them everyday when ur out gill fishing. Ice is holding up but shore ice going quickly. Am guessing these hard to come by, but have others landed any over 10” also? Good luck to all!!
Congratulations on the 10 incher. I agree they're hard to come by, and neither my wife nor I have ever caught one. Then on a public lake on our last day on the ice this season she pulled out two nice ones and I thought we had a chance. But when we got home and I put the tape to them, nope. We'll keep trying.

Yellow Food Fish Vegetable Metal

· Banned
3,866 Posts

There are a lot of little lakes with carry in access only and a lot of them have really good bluegill fishing.

There are hundreds of these little lakes between Cadillac & the bridge.

· Registered
3,091 Posts
Don't want to tick you all off but if I did catch a ten incher of any pan type fish, it would go back!

Do you have any idea how old a fish of that magnitude is? My Redear went back.
If I had my Phone I would get a photo and that would be my trophy.
Little un's are enough for me to keep but I'm old and weird!

Caught a huge 'gill years ago while fishing with a neighbor kid. Took it off and tossed it back without even a measure. The kid was incredulous that I would throw such a fish back. Told him, that fish is older than you!!!

· Registered
217 Posts
Food Plant Fish Seafood Tableware
Smallest is 10 1/2'', largest is 12 1/12''. I had caught two of the smallest ones previous year. I had them put on a piece of drift wood. The next year, I caught the remaining five over a three day period. Always wanted a stringer mount, talked to my taxidermist and he said no problem incorporating the two from the previous year.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.