Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a trib last night, walking through thick brush and prime tick habitat(none on us) to fish some nice water. We were out to just get a few fish, nothing serious and not trophy chasing.

It ended up being slower, but we got a handful of fish. My best five fish were 14-18” browns, no rainbows for me. Fish fought well and really smacked it at times!

17”
Water Vertebrate Plant People in nature Fisherman

14”
Food Vertebrate Water Fisherman Fish

16”
Vertebrate Plant Organism Yellow Fish

18”
Plant Nature Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Nice job, brown trout were on for me in western mi as well yesterday (6 of em 8-14” on a trib of a big river), a nice consolation prize for being late on skams.

·
Administrator
36,866 Posts
Nice fish, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking the 'blue camo' must have been the lucky charm.

Nice to see some trout action.
I almost didn’t go, but was glad it happened. That walk just sucked ass though!

·
Registered
537 Posts
What type of lures to take?
You really can't go wrong with spinner baits. A gold blade with black body seems to be my go to spinner for browns but sometimes silver or copper blades are the ticket.

The small size floating rapalas are really good too. Cast them and if you're starting to get down into the snags just stop retrieving and they will float back up.

When I'm tossing gear for trout I will use a heavier mainline than I need, like 10 lbs. I don't think they have time to be line shy when they have to chose to hit a spinner swimming by their hidey hole. That bigger line gives me a chance at getting my spinner back if I cast it into some snags. I can usually straighten out the dinky treble hook so I get the thing back.

Lastly, I like to take some small hooks, spit shot, and 4lb fluorocarbon with me. If you come up to a sharp bend with some dark water, side drifting live bait on the bottom can be the ticket to reaching those fish that are sitting 8-12 ft deep when you can only get down 4 ft with your lure.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You really can't go wrong with spinner baits. A gold blade with black body seems to be my go to spinner for browns but sometimes silver or copper blades are the ticket.

The small size floating rapalas are really good too. Cast them and if you're starting to get down into the snags just stop retrieving and they will float back up.

When I'm tossing gear for trout I will use a heavier mainline than I need, like 10 lbs. I don't think they have time to be line shy when they have to chose to hit a spinner swimming by their hidey hole. That bigger line gives me a chance at getting my spinner back if I cast it into some snags. I can usually straighten out the dinky treble hook so I get the thing back.

Lastly, I like to take some small hooks, spit shot, and 4lb fluorocarbon with me. If you come up to a sharp bend with some dark water, side drifting live bait on the bottom can be the ticket to reaching those fish that are sitting 8-12 ft deep when you can only get down 4 ft with your lure.
rs1983 what size mepps. thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
rs1983 what size mepps. thanks
Probably a #2 would cover most situations. I carry bigger and smaller than that and will switch based upon water levels. Something in the 1/8th ounce to 1/4 ounce size is a good place to start. Go heavier if you are having problems getting down.
I use panther martins too. The one in the pic above in the thread is a blue fox style.

If you end up getting into this, I'll let you in on my source for cheap spinners:

It takes a while for them to get here, but you can order them for a fraction of the price that you see in stores by using Alibaba and ordering directly from the factory. That's what I did and I painted the blade using powder nail polish. That won't help you for this trip but just something to consider as a cheap source of lures

1 - 16 of 16 Posts