Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did manage to take a little 5 pointer before we were tossed out and i'd like to euro mount it. But i don't really want to tear into that rotting head by hand. I know I should have done it right away. I heard of a few ways to do it (bury/hang,whatever). Is there a less involded way of doing it?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The way I do it is boil it in water with borex soap. Its alot of work to cut and scrape everything away. After about 2-4hrs its done. Then i wait till summer and brush hydrogen peroxide on the skull while it sits in the sun for a few days. This way I can whiten it to the desired color. I like them more bone color instead of white. They look naturel this way.

A few years ago a friend found a rotting buck in the woods. He almost threw up cutting the head off. He burried it in the ground up to the antlers and put a rubber maid container on top with cinder blocks on top that. It took a few months and it was cleaned up. This was in early october though. If its winter it might be spring. You have to check it too becouse if left to long the bone will discolor very dark and the insects will eat away to much of the softer bone in the nose area.

I have heard of others letting them soak in water up to the antlers of for long periods of time. It will get smelly I imagine.

There is no easy way to do it quick. Its alot of work but well worth it.

If you use chemicals like keroseen or bleach be warned that it will weaken the bone and couse it to deteriate quicker.

If you look in my gallery you will see a pic of of one I found on a river bottom (its my avitar too). I found it in december and figured it was from october. The fur was slipped from the bone on the carcass and the skull still had meat and fur on it is some areas but the nose was alomst ate away. After the meat dried up it was tough to get off but it didnt smell too bad. I wore rubber gloves and my wife thought I was gross. But hey I have been dragging dead things home since I was a kid! lol It only had meat and fur in a few places but the brain was gone and so were the eyes and these are toughest parts to clean up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts