Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One my dad got last year. What is the best way to go about cleaning it up?
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have boiled my skulls in water than removed as much of the extra tissue as possible then I take about a shoe sized rubber Maid box and add peroxside in with water and let it sit for a few days

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
38 Posts
I use sal soda (Sodium Carbonate). Don't ever boil the skull though. Get the pot to a simmer. With a skinned skull it takes a little over an hour for me to get all the meat off. The meat turns to gel and you can just shake all the cartilage out of it and meat off of it. After all the meat and cartilage is gone I use the hydrogen peroxide that you can buy at the store. I take white paper towel and soak it in the peroxide, then I ball up the wet paper towel and and stick it in every hole and crevice on the skull and then totally wrap the skull with wet paper towel. I leave it over night and then the skull is done. I bought 5 pounds of sal soda on ebay for about 8 bucks a few years ago. I will never have to buy anymore. Just takes a couple spoon fulls. I've found if you let the water get to a boil it gets harder to get it off the skull. I've done around 15 skulls now and tried different ways, sal soda is by far the easiest way I have done it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
well being it hung out in the weather for so long it might be hard to get it to bleach out white due to the oils in the hide and flesh had been on for so long but you can try .
Go to sallys beauty supply and get a gallon of 40 volume peroxide for bleaching hair and it might do it after you brush the skull with a brass brush ,leave the skull in the peroxide for a few days .
If you ever plan on doing it again freeze it or do it right away and when you do it you can use simple stuff that you have around the house ,baking soda ,helps dissolve flesh ,dish soap draws oils out of the skull ,i use stock salt also in helping to dissolve flesh and break it up .Then you just boil it ,scrape it boil it ,scrape it ,till you get it clean but before you boil it make sure you get as much hide and meat off as you can including the bottom jaw about 2 hrs your done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts