Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic (I Hope) of the European mount of the Spke I got opening Morning of gun season.

·
Registered
264 Posts
On both the mount and the deer. How did you make it so white?? I have a skull mount of a 5x6 elk that I found in the woods. It is in my photos. Huge rack. I want to make it white, my wife doesn't, but I will show her yours. Maybe she will change her mind.

Thanks,
JAS

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a kit from cabelas that came with industrial strength peroxide and a bleaching agent, you mix the peroxide and bleach to form a paste and paint it on the skull, brush the paste off in 24 hours and the skull is bleached. Kit cost 19.99 + shipping.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I use non yellowing clear coat on your next euro only simmer it not boil it and you will have better luck keeping the nose bones. BUT IT LOOKS GOOD!!! keep perserving them trophys they are great to look at.

Rob

·
Registered
196 Posts
The following picture is my 1st. attempt at a skull mount. This was a challenge for me because it had to be put together from 8 pieces of bone. Last fall a doe led this deer past me at such a close distance, all I could see was hair in my 4-power scope for my 1st. shot. This was not a killing shot. I finally dispatched him in the head with my .35 Remington which gave me the multiple-piece skull.

The cleaning and bleaching was done with the usual methods but I had to keep track of some rather small bone parts. I used epoxy glue to get it back together. The plaque is made up of 4 pieces to position him at the right attitude.

He was 2 1/2 years old and I took him on the last morning of my hunting in the Upper Peninsula. My plan for next year is to try harder to make that first shot count! :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
#1duck thats a nice looking trophy.

Very nice mount, Royal Whaler. Did you do the wood too?

Very cool Guys. Like 'em alot.

sean

·
Registered
196 Posts
kitchue Very nice mount said:
Copied the basic plaque design from what is available from taxidermy supply houses like www.walnutcreekhardwood.com and www.skulltaxidermy.com. Because some of the skull was missing, I had to improvise with an oak dowel to hold up the missing skull area. Got to use my router to accommodate this years' DNR patch and also to round off all edges. The rest was stain and varnish work. :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Nice pics guys, esp the patch and custom wood mount. Very nice!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Royal Whaler, is that an alligator gar you have in your picture, if so did you get that in michigan?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts