Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a relative newcomer to the trolling 'game' I'm wondering if there is anything I need to know about etiquette out there. So far it seems everyone gets along pretty well, but I'm guessing that eventually someone is going to upset someone else. I don't want to be that person.

My preference is to just drift. Will other trollers notice that I am drifting and troll around me or should I be ready to motor up?

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you are drifting you wont have any trouble at all imho, guys motoring will steer clear of you. The only time I have encountered inconsiderate fisherman was during the tourny out of LBM. Bay was loaded with boats and one of the tourny guys was bound and determined his s track should cross my stern right across my lines. Evidently he knew the winning fish were right behind my boat! :corkysm55

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm not positive about this, but I think any boat "adrift" (and I take that to include a drifting fisherman) has the right of way - other boats are to steer clear of it. Obviously, etiquette would imply that a person should not intentionally start his boat drifiting where he knows it will interfere with other boats.
I have found that by simply looking ahead, you can usually steer your boat so it will pass well away from other boats. Occasionally I have had to turn a little sharper than I would have liked to, but when a lot of boats are working an area, it's bound to happen. The key (IMO) is to plan ahead and steer a course that will not interfere with others.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
If you are drifting you wont have any trouble at all imho, guys motoring will steer clear of you. The only time I have encountered inconsiderate fisherman was during the tourny out of LBM. Bay was loaded with boats and one of the tourny guys was bound and determined his s track should cross my stern right across my lines. Evidently he knew the winning fish were right behind my boat! :corkysm55
I try real hard to stay away from other boats. It's amazing how far people can see a net and before you know it there is more boats around you then fish. When I see that I'm on a path to hit someone or get so close as to get our boards tangle I change my course way before that happens. To many people don't want to change there course. Wish other would do the same. There is aways some axx out there. I just :) and keep catching the fish. :fish: Life is to short to get :mad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Slowpoke, I could not agree with you more. I love the big water for that reason. But for the last two weekends I have ran into a couple of (####) out on the bay who either do not watch where they are going or don't care. They had no one beside them but insisted on trolling into me causing me to do a 360 to avoid them. My wife usually drives and she gets upset and doesn't know which way to turn. I rarely say anything because I'm out there to enjoy my self not get into a shouting match. I think etiquette is becoming a thing of the past. It's refreshing to hear someone ask about it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
its always better to drift or troll away from the pack, too much traffic in a area , specialy shalow area will eventualy turn the fish off. go early catch your limit and get out before it gets crowded, and no one owns the bay.
just be courteuse & understanding, we are there to have fun.

capt mo

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
its always better to drift or troll away from the pack, too much traffic in a area , specialy shalow area will eventualy turn the fish off. go early catch your limit and get out before it gets crowded, and no one owns the bay.
just be courteuse & understanding, we are there to have fun.

capt mo
Well said, Capt. Mo.......all there is left to do, is Smile, Smile, Smile......;)

Mushy

·
Registered
69 Posts
The problem was, that I was away from the pack. Just me and the other boat. I refuse to fish in the pack for that reason.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
The problem was, that I was away from the pack. Just me and the other boat. I refuse to fish in the pack for that reason.
When other boats start heading my way I just lead them away from where I have located the walleyes. That works sometimes but when the walleyes are not bunch up and you have the right lure, color and speed right and keep catching them it gets crowded. That happens once in a while. Whats funny is when you get those boats coming and they follow you and see you catching them and they don't :lol::lol::lol:. Sometime they give up and go away, sometime the yell "what are you catching them on". I tell the ones that are polite.

·
Registered
862 Posts
A great question, 'cause I was talking to by buddy in the boat out there just this past Saturday. In Lake Michigan for Salmon, there is a trolling pattern - you get in and follow along with everyone else. Usually works well for everyone except for the odd joker that has to troll straight through the group. In Saginaw Bay, however, there is no pattern. Some guys are trolling with the waves, some against, some quartering one way, some the other. I hope you get a good answer, and everyone on the Bay follows through with it....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,191 Posts
Slowpoke, I could not agree with you more. I love the big water for that reason. But for the last two weekends I have ran into a couple of (####) out on the bay who either do not watch where they are going or don't care. They had no one beside them but insisted on trolling into me causing me to do a 360 to avoid them. My wife usually drives and she gets upset and doesn't know which way to turn. I rarely say anything because I'm out there to enjoy my self not get into a shouting match. I think etiquette is becoming a thing of the past. It's refreshing to hear someone ask about it.
I notice the same thing, I think some people fix on an object, in this case it happens to be another boat.:dizzy: Makes it real tough to hit waypoints.

I steer around drifting boats.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
What upsets me is when your out in the middle of nowhere and someone runs up on you and sets up right on top of you. Just because your fishing there, there must be fish. Then they gotta turn right into you. Next thing you know you give an give and give and your headed in a totally different direction just because some xxxhole cant figure out how to use his steering wheel. I mean, is the lake not big enough that you have to fish the same square foot of water im fishing....come on!

Another thing that irks me is if you happen to be in a group of boats that are trolling one direction. Why do some people think that its ok to just troll acrossed the bow of everyone headed that way. I mean, if your all lined up and some yahoo does this, you end up squeezing the guy next to yout, then he squeezes the next guy and the next guys pushing the next guy. Throw in one guy in the row that wont give and it causes one big cluster xxxx. I just dont get it. If you want to be on the other side of everyone, pick up and run around or give them a wide berth. I would think its common sense, but i may be going out on a limb there.:rolleyes:...And they still dont figure out somethings wrong when your reeling in your planer boards because theyre getting too close. They give ya this :confused: look.

....ediquette, thats a thing of the past....Too bad. I liked it better when we had less numbers of fish and better size. Fishing wasnt so easy that every swinging dick could go out and get a limit....There were allot less boats and allot more respect for your fellow fisherman....Boy have times changed.:(...and its happening more and more on the ice as well.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It has happened to me a few times this year, when other people just don't have a clue.

#1. A guy in an Islander on a rough morning, June 15th to be exact, was steaming out towards us, we were almost to our 10th fish and pretty much the only boat out in this area. Instead of going behind us and getting set up, this guys turns pretty close in front of me and starts to set lines. I was on a troll, and he was starting his drift. NOT COOL. There was no one behind me NO ONE! Common sense must have been thrown out the window. If it were me I would have steamed another 1/2 mile south of me and then turned to setup shop. IDIOT!!!!:yikes:

#2. This past weekend we were trolling and ended up in/near the pack. Some guy in a green lund steaming south just comes off plane and starts setting up way too close to more than just me. One boat had to turn in another had to turn out and I was headed right for him. He was close enough that I started yelling out my window. He heard me, but just continued to start setting up. Meanwhile he's setting up and the other two on his boat are just sitting there twiddling their thumbs, and no one is driving the boat. He is creeping ever closer to us so I start laying on the horn and he finally takes the wheel and turns to get out of the way. IDIOT!!!! This can easily be avoided.

Give people room, and you will usually get room. I don't typically fish with a pack, but sometimes it just happens and you are in the pack. For the most part everyone has a radio, use it. There are a lot of fish in the bay. Just because a boat is out in an area doesn't neccassarily mean there are fish in that spot. I never fish an area because there are other boats around. Do some research and make an educated decision on fishing a particular area and if you're lucky it maybe an area that others aren't at. It's a big body of water with enough room for us all. If stupid #1 and stupid #2 are reading this, YOU SUCK and I hope your fishing sucked on these days!!!!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The worst thing I've seen so far is a pleasure boater cruising through the pack. He must have thought this was the party reef or something.

Overall it seems everyone is getting along pretty well especially considering that there is no set trolling pattern out there.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
The inconsiderate people on the lake, are the same way on the road, and at the ramps. I have seen several boats anchored in the channel, effectively blocking it. No wonder I mostly fish Mon-Fri.:)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I also fish mainly Monday thru Friday, but still we have a few people fishing opposite others. To be real honest with everyone here, I only troll with the waves and do not look forward, at 1 to 1.5 mph on electric motors and a bigger boat I just make them move..... I know it is a poor attitude to have but after 22 years of getting out of everyones way with my 20' Sea Ray, now as I get older, I pretty much know who is going to win the battle, myself for a change. I still move a little but not much, I am not afraid to use my "HAIL BUTTON" on my radio to "yell" at a newbie for not knowing the rules.

Mark
Reel Fish'n

P>S> These are not my true thoughts or actions but I thought it would get a rise out of some people for sure.:yikes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
"....ediquette, thats a thing of the past....Too bad. I liked it better when we had less numbers of fish and better size. Fishing wasnt so easy that every swinging dick could go out and get a limit....There were allot less boats and allot more respect for your fellow fisherman....Boy have times changed....and its happening more and more on the ice as well."

That one made me laugh out loud. How true it is, however. It's nice to have a year or two when everybody can catch fish, but its cyclical...the numbers will decrease and the sizes will increase, and those who know the past days of fishing when you had to use something more than a sharpened paper clip to catch 'em will again have a little more open water to navigate. Just takes a little patience.

·
Registered
691 Posts
This reminds me of the early 80's fishing for salmon on Lake Michigan same type of fishery and same type of attitude. Mark I know what you mean sometimes you just have to play a little game of chicken. I heard that there was a boating accident up by the black hole on Sunday, my mom said there was something in the Bay City Times police section about two boats that had to be towed in, anybody hear anything about it?

PS Mark, hope all is well or getting better.

Tom

1 - 20 of 26 Posts