Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out the other day and going in a straight line for over a mile. I noticed that a boat pulling planners was trying to get infront of me. I did everything in my power to not run over his stuff. I risked snagging my stuff on the pier so I would run over his lines. I did not hit any of his lines and everything worked out ok. But geez,,,, what a tool. I couldn't believe someone would put me in that situation on the big water. I had nowhere to go and used up all possible real estate to save his lines. I was wondering if there is a code like flashing a light or yelling or something. I purposely go out of my way to make sure I stay clear of boats since I'm new to this sport but it never seems to fail someone always fishes too close (in my opinion), I would like to get more agressive but its not my style, besides with a east wind you never know who you will need to rely on for help.

Ed
p.s. I used my radio but no answer

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Probably was soo crowded he couldn't help it .... right?:rolleyes: Some people are just freakin 'knobs' and most of the time they do not even know it.

One option to get the point across (although probably not the best) would be to test your casting abilties with a pound or pound and a half ball.:evil:

Better not to drive aggressive ... too much of your tackle at stake, as well.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Technically there is a Code: the red and Green Lights. If you see his Green Light, you are the STAND ON boat. You hold your course. If you see his red light, you are the GIVE WAY boat.

Stand-on boat The vessel which should maintain its course and speed

Give-way boat The vessel which must take early and substantial action to avoid collision by stopping, slowing down or changing course

Now, this is what the rules says about boats under power. When trolling, you are under power. Do the majority of people even understand this? Nope.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
SalmonBum said:
Technically there is a Code: the red and Green Lights. If you see his Green Light, you are the STAND ON boat. You hold your course. If you see his red light, you are the GIVE WAY boat.

Stand-on boat The vessel which should maintain its course and speed

Give-way boat The vessel which must take early and substantial action to avoid collision by stopping, slowing down or changing course

Now, this is what the rules says about boats under power. When trolling, you are under power. Do the majority of people even understand this? Nope.
Good point Salmon Bum.

Last yr while in Manistee a small boat was fishing near us in the dark, and while still at a distance, I was having a tough time figuring his moves. When we got close I could see this dummy had a clamp on bow light with red showing on the Starboard side. One tends to rely on things being right. I tried to tell this #@^% head in a nice way what was wrong, and got the one finger salute.:)

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
I've questioned this for a long time. I can't understand why the state or Coast Guard doesn't make it mandatory to obtain a Boaters Safety Certificate for the the Great Lakes or for a vessel of whatever length or horsepower. I'll bet 90% of the boaters have never taken the classes or have no certificate. It's funny,,, just because there are no signs or lanes on the water people think there are no rules.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew there had to be some rules. Me I never took a boaters course... probably need to. I just been fishing with my own boat since I was 10 years old. Never had any issues until i fished the big lake.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
You should be able to pick up a pamphlet at the local CG station on rules of the Road (waterway). This should help folks a ton on who's right and who's wrong. But it also states, avoid a collision at all costs too.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Thanks Ed, there ya go Ed, good research Ed, lol

IMO, anyone that goes out on Lake Michigan needs to know at least the bare minimum on Rules of the road (waterway) and at the very least have their boat inspected annually by the Coast Guard Auxiliary. Doesn't cost anything and they make sure your boat is safe for you and the folks you take out in it, at least as far as safety gear goes anyways.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Remember one thing when you are out on the water, the other guy thinks he's better than you or anyone else on the water. Usually I do this, when launching the boat and theres a few other guys launching and will be fishing also shoot the crap with them while the boats warming up or setting rods. You get a good impression on them and they will give you some respect out there on the water. Its worth a shot and heck, maybe you'll learn a new fishing spot or hot color or whatever.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
This is my biggest pet peeve is people who spend all the time and money to get a boat ready to go out on the big lake, but cant spend 8 hours in a boaters saftey class. I wish the state would make it mandatory..

You're going to come on here and bitch about some guy cutting you off and you have no idea if it were you or he that was in the wrong? He may have been following the law to the letter... Amazing...

Please, for everyones sake, take a boaters saftey class....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Captain Mike hit it right on the head. Anyone who wants to play out on the big ponds really should take a rules of the road course. Or at least buy a copy and read them. Ask questions of those who have passed the course. It would make boating/fishing funner and safer for all.
IMO the boaters safety isn't enough. I have seen local law enforcement that don't understand the rules themselves. And all you have to do is look at the pier heads and channel to see countless violations. Just watch folks crossing on the wrong side of the dreges when they are working. Dayshapes are there for a reason, just like lights.
I have heard that if tickets are issued in conjunction with a charter/commercial vessel and others, the licensed operator can force the issue into a Federal Maritime court where the Rules of the Road would apply. Is this correct?

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
Jason Adam said:
,,, but cant spend 8 hours in a boaters saftey class. I wish the state would make it mandatory..

8 hours:tdo12: ,,,,, the class I took with the Coast Guard Auxilary was 3 months long,,, with "mid-terms" and "finals", and you HAD TO PASS!:SHOCKED: It was brutal,,,, morse code, nautical and statue miles, coloring and shapes of bouys, marlinspike seamanship, sailboats,, knots,,,,, oh god I'm glad I never have to do that again,,:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I think your referring to the Coast Guard Power Squadron class which is long.

The basic Michigan Boaters Safety Class is about 8 hours in 3 or 4 sessions. I took it when I was a teenager and still remember those rules. I also had a Grandfather who impressed on me that "Boy...you drive that boat right or you won't be driving it":dizzy:

Follow this link to search for a class in your area and more information on the Michigan DNR Boaters Safety courses.
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/recnsearch/

Dave

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Its not just to be on the Great Lakes. I dont care where you fish. Anyone who is going to drive a boat should care enough to learn the rules.

If you dont care about being safe for yourself at least do so for those of us who want to go home to our family at the end of the trip!

Dave

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
What I don't understand is if you were "going in a straight line for almost a mile" Why you could not get out of the way sooner? Last time I checked thats a pretty good sized lake, should be enough room for everyone?

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Come over and try it in mid to late July when there is 500 boats. Most everyone going north and south with just a couple of morons that just have to troll east and west. Those are the guys that usually start screaming on the radio I've got thirteen colors out.lmao:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts