Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
judging from past years with similar ice conditions at this point in time, I’m guessing about April 5.
what say you ?

Jay

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
It all depends on how warm it gets over the next few weeks. It can change in a hurry when it warms up. With all that current & wave action, as soon as it breaks open, it changes fast. I have seen it look like that and 2 weeks later be open. That said, if we get another deep cold snap, that will set us back another couple of weeks, minimum. If I had to guess, I would say we will be fishing by the last week of March. I looked at my fishing log for the last 10 years, and I fished in March in 5 of the 10 years. However, there were 2 other years when I could have gotten out in March, but we were in FLA when it opened up. On the flip side, over that same 10 year span it was never open in March more than 2 years in a row. I fished in March in 2019 and 2020, so if that trend continues, it will be April. I am choosing the optimistic view and sticking with last week of March. :p

·
Premium Member
9,219 Posts
Nick will be out there dodging flows long before april 5. He’ll he might even jump on one and jig from it.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I think that March 20th estimate is pretty close. Here is a picture from March 9th of 2015. We were out jigging on April 4th with zero issues. I don't think the ice cover will be even close to that this year by March 9th.

3_9_15.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,411 Posts
Here’s the satellite picture from today. You might be able to troll out of Bolles tomorrow.

View attachment 753733

SCR is up to 33 degrees today and is chewing through ice. There’s going to have to be a major change in the long term forecast to keep people from jigging the D in March.
Any volunteers wanna help cut out bolles Saturday am? I have one saw

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
A friend of mine down a few houses said he's launching his boat first week of March. I told him be careful not to hit my permanent shanty because it'll still be out on the ice!!! Ice can hang on a long time if we don't get the rains and the nights drop below freezing.

Reactions: Headhunter
1 - 20 of 103 Posts