Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an article in TPC about trapping weasels. Was wondering if anybody traps for them? If so how do you build your boxes? Also, what kind of terrain should I look for?
After the catch what size stretcher do you use, or does anyone manufacture a weasle specific stretcher? Any help as always is appreciated.

2005 season:
9 coons
25 rats
1 chocolate male mink

·
Registered
588 Posts
Weasels like mice, moles and even cottontails. Brush piles, rock walls, abonded buildings, and cottontail habbitat are all good places to start. I saw a long tailed weasel when I was checking my snares last winter. I did some reading, and ended up setting a motified rat trap (1 1/2" circle from a milk carton, hot glued to the trigger) by an old shed by some pine trees that were filled with cottontails. There was a cinder block out there that I placed some chicken livers in that I purchased from the local grocery. 2 days later I got it! I have made boxes but have not caught any yet this year. The boxes I made are about 1' long 6" wide and just tall enough to allow the trap to function. I cut a 2" dia. hole on the front side. The top is hinged. Place the bloody meat (whatever you use) in the back, then the trap with the trigger toward the opening. Once the weasel desides to get a little bite, his first step into the box should be it's last! As far a strechers go, you can purchase them but a heavey wire coat hanger shaped properly works just as well. I'm not telling you this is the best way, but that is where I'm at right now. Good luck!

Dan

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda,
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered