Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out there on Erie yesterday. My dad & I hit the water at the crack of 10am :sad: but managed to do OK in 2.5 hours of fishing. We tried straight out of Bolles in the pack in 20ft of water and only caught 3 white bass. We fished there for 30 minutes, saw no nets go up, and headed toward Stoney Point. There were boats there in 23-24 ft of water south of the point with several charters in the mix. We took 8 in 1.5 hours on meat with 6 of the fish coming off boards and 2 off the bottom. I make my a lure my buddies call the poacher perch. The joke is it works so well it should not be legal. It is basically a harness tied on wire (like a Mepps) with a 3/8 keel sinker on the front, a treble hook on the wire, and a single bait holder hook on a 2-3" stinger. I tie them on wire because it never wears from the spinner clevis, it adds weight, and if you hook a pike or musky it is rare that they bit it off. The treble provides a solid hooking ratio which is important when fishing crawlers on boards. I ran this rig out 25 ft, put on a 1/2 oz snap weight, and ran out another 25ft. This takes you down around 15-17 foot when trolling 1.2-1.5 mph. We were running green beads, silver blades. We took the fish on the east edge of the pack of boats in plain view of 2 charter captains. Once people saw us doing well, we got crowded off the spot. The bite died a bit so we decided to head home and beat the traffic. All in all a good day on the water.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
I like it! I am going to make up a couple for my box, it probably makes a great casting harness. Thanks and good fishing.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
shweeeet! It looks to be a killer, but i bet gold or copper blades with red beads would be pure carnage! thanx for sharing psycodad.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas. I have it tied in all the standard colors. Yesterday they wanted green/silver and not red/gold. I have never casted it but I bet it will work. It's really good to troll. Why it fishes different than a standard harness is the weight by the spinner makes it drop fast when you slow down. I like to turn while trolling this rig and the change in depth and speed really triggers the fish. I actually made this for the st. clair metro bite. In st clair I fish it in 8-11 feet with short leads of around 10-25 ft depending on where the fish are. You can troll this fast and not worry about the line twist due to the keel sinker and the black swivel I tie to the front of the wire portion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts