Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of going out of bolles harbour or the DR sunday to try for some eyes. I have a 16 foot deep v spectrum pro avenger. with what happened the other day should i be safe. Also how should I fish one of these spots. last year was my first year having a boat & doing all this & did not get out much. any help or sugestions would be appreciated. Thanks I am going to post a picture of my boat

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=58631&size=big&cat=

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
i have a 16 foot lowe which is very similar to what you have. I have fished erie a lot (even in very rough water) and the detroit river. I have never had a problem, but as long as you practice safe boating skills then you will be fine. Im not sure what happened with the gentlemen who had the accident, but something they did was not safe causing the accident.

Depending on what type of fishing you want to do (jigging, handlining, trolling), i am primarily jigging the upper river, north of the ren-cen. Fishing is H O T right now. Good luck and tight lines!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are planning right now to launch out of elizabeth park. It will be me & one other. I to went out on erie a few times last year. Only limited once I am learning. The person I am planning on going with said he knows what to do on jigging. Never tried jigging only done the drifting for eyes with bottom bouncers. Now that i put a new 2007 50 hp e-tech i might be able to troll some this year.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
great motor. The thing with jigging (and im no expert, first year jigging the river) is staying vertical. Point your bow mount troller into the wind and chase the line with it so it stays on the bottom. It took a few mintues to figure it out but came real quick. Remember to use heavy lead, until you get the feeling down. At least 5/8 or even 1 oz. With either a plastic minnow (gulp/fin S) or real minnows. Stingers also land u more fish on the short biters. Good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
BBBYpsi, don't want to derail this thread, But i'm very interested in the performance of your new e-tech. feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
esoxer said:
BBBYpsi, don't want to derail this thread, But i'm very interested in the performance of your new e-tech. feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sure thing soon as I use it some I will let you know. It's got to be better then the old 40 hp mercury force that was a 1996. Loud & ruff from comparing it to others i saw last year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts