1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I spelled that right.;)

While fishing today [see post here] I landed a large clam:

and split it open.

Inside I found a couple of zebra mussels had made a home as well as about a dozen caddis and a giant stone fly nymph. I'll post the photos but they might not be real clear. I tried to clear them up but they wouldn't save for some reason. I sent out a couple of the photos to Shoeman so hopefully he can clean them up. I thought maybe this would help some when tying their nymphs.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
thats pretty cool. I like seeing people see that kind of stuff for the first time. Some of mother natures "bugs" were given some really vivid colors, eye-catching at times. I always thought that bugs were beautifully ugly.

steve

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One photo of the stone was while it was covered in muck and algae. I dropped him in some water in the bottom of the boat and picked him up later for the later photos. I'm not sure if he was a giant brown or Golden. The photo doesn't show it well but he had some yellow hues under all the junk.

The interesting part were the caddis. One (not photographed) was bright (chartreuse) green while one was just green and another was olive. No wonder so many different caddis patterns work.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
hmmm, its hard to tell from the photo.... some golden stones are REALLY brilliant gold, while others just have some golden coloration, but not anything that i would really consider gold color. To start were the antennae and tails broken? or are they just not showing up very well? are they long and slender or shorter and stocky lookin sorta?

steve

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did the stone fly have distinct tails (cerci) and if so how many were there? Also did it have antenae?

In looking at the photos I cannot make out either tail or antenae and my intitial thought was actually dragon fly nymph. The have the same overall body shape be the stone's have the antenae and cerci that I cannot make out in the photo.

Caddis have to be about the coolest critters out there. So many different ways of living.

Pretty Gunrod. Thanks

Toddson

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The antenae were broke and the colors didn't show up well in the photo. There is some yellow or gold in there but he was covered in some slime from the inside of the clam.

As for the tails there were two distinct tails but they weren't pointed or very long like I expected. I thought it may be in molt.

Shoeman suggested it could be a damsel and it could be. I just thought damsels were much darker that this guy is. I haven't had time to go diving into my books to confirm what exactly he was but will soon. The photos are crappy but at least show shape.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cool let me know when you find out. Overall body shape could suggest any of them.

Toddson

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out it probably was a damsel after all. According to my searches damsels can be all different colors and usually darkest before hatching. The striations in the coloring (brown and yellow) made me think golden stone but after checking this site I think it was a damsel. The rounded 3 tails kinda give it away even though I only saw two on my bug. It either lost one or it was buried underneath him.

Kinda fun any way to go bug hunting. I want to do some more nymph hunting this spring/summer to try to get a better understanding of what I'm tying for my specific rivers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts