Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice, last fall i put 2 doz acorns in a damp paper towel and stored in the fridge. They now have one inch roots, should I plant them now or pot them up till fall? Thanks in advance. Tom

·
Premium Member
13,411 Posts
You can do a bit of both.

Pot 'em up in a fairly deep pot....those first year roots can really grow. I've got some E.O.'s now that I stratified over the winter that have 8" roots.

Or, take some of them out to wherever you want them to be for, well, the next 60 years....and place 'em sdieways in a 1" deep hole and cover with good soil. Then, most importantly, cage that sucker.

If you don't protect it from squirrels/chipmunks/mice/deer then all you did was give your neighboring critters a little fast food.

After I've stratified my EO's over the winter I oftentimes will place two or three in one of the cardboard milk (or OJ) containers) that I've cut the top off. When the seedling sprouts and has true leaves I clip off the weakest of the sprouts leaving just the single strongest. I'll then dig a hole big enough for the containter, slit the sides & bottom and place the whole thing in the ground. Then put the grow-tube or hardware cloth over it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts